Should this be such a dilema, really ?

Choosing mechnical industry over IT was one of the toughest decisions I made. I am a technology entusiast and love to do ethical hacking, computer forensics, lot of debugging my computer for any issue that arises, love to learn about computer hardware everything from benchmarks to how and why they are required and the type of advancements in technology, manufacturing process and architecture.

Even with such passion for computers I studied mechnical engineering because Btech with CS/IS branches required to learn programming and coding which i wasn't intersted to learn because i thought it would be difficult.(seems like a lame decision?)
Once I started studying mechanical I connected with technology there also and mostly in automobile sector especially formula 1 and became very interested in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics. Couldn't afford the money to learn the courses for these and people kept telling me to get
an Mtech before getting into CFD. In mechnical I am intersted only about the analysis part I donot have a passion for heavy machinery as such.

I got placed at TCS(joining date march15 2012) and ESSAR. As I graduated in May 2011 I was really getting alienated at home and couldn't bear the 6 month wait as I kept getting bored and felt It was a burden on my parents.
Now I am working at ESSAR(made this choice because i studied mechanical for 4yrs) Heavy engineering as an Assistant Manager for Business development(Im hating this decision) because I am not liking the type of work I am getting here, its mostly documentation and very less technical. And all other departments its the same thing be it Tendering,Production, procurement, Planning. the only postive from this right now is that I can take up an MBA with Business development which will have good scope.

Since the TCS joining date is in March it kees playing in my head that for once i should listen to my heart and go to do what I am passionate for in terms of computers and technology. But I hear each time about recession and TCS benching people from work. I don't know at this time what to do with my career. And they are offering a lesser salary as I have an outstanding education loan I choose money over passion I think.

Any Help on this Regard will be greatly appreciated. 😀

Thank you for your time and patience in reading this post.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The rule of thumb is that you should stick to the field of your interest. The biggest challenge for most of the people is to figure out what they really like. You can't bet your career on market conditions. Markets will usually prefer the 'best' engineers out there, no matter how bad or good economic condition is. If you choose to stay in career that doesn't interest you; you're going to suffer for life. But if you're in the field that you 'truly' love, you'll be happy. If you're good; you'll always find job for yourself.

No one knows what TCS will do. But you should work on finding your real interest & passion before you decide to join an IT company.
  • adren022
    adren022
    Sir, Thank you very much for your timely response. I do agree about doing a Job that I truely love will help me have a great carer in that field.

And your spot on when you say that I have to find what I love to do & My passion in life. The Problem that is in front of me right now is that I am not able to do choose one thing and stick with it. Finding my passion in life, I know it has to be done by myself. But is there anyway I could have some help in this regard ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You have the time on your side. Go through our earlier discussions on this topic. You'll find *lot* of useful and relevant information. You're not able to choose one thing and stick with it because you haven't yet found what you really like. It's a common problem and there is a solution. Stop worrying and begin working on solving the problems in your path.

...and I know it's easier said than done. Let's assume you decide to join TCS. Why not start being so amazing in programming that TCS would want you to be the last person to be on the bench? If you really love computers - why not find a job that does not bore you at the end of the day? From my own experience of running CE; I think even 24 hours are not enough and even if I work all the time; I never seem to get tired. There are spikes of frustration; but those are temporary.

Having a positive attitude will definitely work in your favor.
  • adren022
    adren022
    Thank you for that constructive piece of advice. Will try and solve the problems in my path instead of dodging them.
    and will have to leave ESSAR now if I have to prepare for joining TCS in March.

Still in that place where I can't decide what's the right thing to do. Will have to give this a lot of thought.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    adren022
    Thank you for that constructive piece of advice. Will try and solve the problems in my path instead of dodging them.
    and will have to leave ESSAR now if I have to prepare for joining TCS in March.

Still in that place where I can't decide what's the right thing to do. Will have to give this a lot of thought.
    Burn the midnight oil, friend. Before you're absolutely sure.
  • adren022
    adren022
    What is sure as of now is that, Business development doesn't interest me one bit and almlother departments at ESSAR Heavy engineering have less scope of work compared to Business development. Unless I can get into design here, I don't think work here is going satisfy me.
    like the cliche "Like what you do or Do What you like" everyday It's the same issue of me sitting here and desparately liking what I am doing and then calling my dad every evening to tell him how much I hate this department. On the positive side fitting in has been very easy the employee culture here is superb. "The Boss" is...well, Like a BOSS (he lives in the stone age and doesn't understand any think you tell him 😀 ).

Should this one reason of me not liking the department and there being nothing else on offer mean that I should leave ESSAR and move to TCS? because there is an oppotuninty right now and 6 months later it won't be there.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

musicfreakmandyyou can refer book by Padma Reddy....every concept is explained in very easy language..would you explain me about data structure and algorithm with c++.
Hey all! My name is shekar. I am a III year student of engineering from Nalla narasimha reddy education society,s. This year our college would be organising its first ever...
InCyte 2012 is a Technical Fest organized by AMITY University, Noida. InCyte '12 bring to you grandeur of biotechnology, abstruse innovations and an immaculate consortium of knowledge. Its a platform...
iWeekend is a Innovation cum Technical fest organized by Jaipur Engineering College and Research Centre, Jaipur. Details: iWeekend I am the change, I am the innovator. JECRC, with its new...
TechGenie 2012 is a Technical fest organized by Priyadarshini Institute of Technology and Science, Tenali. Events include: Tech Presentation- Topics: Computer Science and Information Technology Data Mining and Data Warehousing...