Remote Control Mouse Using TV Remote

hey guys
as u know i dng my third yr entc, i hav mini project in this semester.
the topic which i chose is "REMOTE CONTROL MOUSE USING TV REMOTE"
here they have used an AVR microcontroller.
is it possible for me to use a pic microcontroller instead of an AVR microcontroller??? i searched google for an answer but culdnt find any, then i realised i am a part of "crazy engineers" who will definitely help me out.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This of any use?:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi Megha,

Of course you can use any microcontroller for this purpose. If they use it for basic operation you can change it with any other microcontrollers Atmel, PIC, ARM etc.

But there also some specific application oriented microcontrollers, So kindly share the data sheet of AVR microcontroller.
  • Megha Binoy Thomas
    Megha Binoy Thomas
    Sir.. during ur presentation lectures teachers always hav to stand next to the pc or device to scroll down for next slide, which restricts them from moving nd interacting with the students or explain the concept properly.. so came up with this idea
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi Megha,

First of all, I congratulate your motive to come up with a solution for problem. But for your information there is already a product using bluetooth which having greater coverage and also laser pointer.

Kindly find the link for your information.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Megha Binoy Thomas
    Megha Binoy Thomas
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi Megha,

First of all, I congratulate your motive to come up with a solution for problem. But for your information there is already a product using bluetooth which having greater coverage and also laser pointer.

Kindly find the link for your information.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
    HI Akhil...
    true that there is already a product for the idea i hav.. but wat i was thinkg is using the tv remote we have for our tv nly for operating our pc...
    i dnt know hw much technically correct i am becoz my learning process is only gng on.. but if tv remote itself is used for operating pc or laptops then there s no need to buy an extra device to operate it..
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi Megha,

Thats great concept. TV remote works in IR technology. It consist of IR led transmitter. On the other side (TV) there will be IR receiver photo diode. For controlling this we need a IR receiver unit at PC or laptop.

My suggestions design a prototype IR receiver section with USB so that can communicate with PC and laptops.
  • lal
    lal
    There is an open source package called "LIRC" which could be used to send and receive IR signals using a computer. You could read the wiki on it here,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Well it makes things quite easy. Even though I have used only the Linux version of the package, the wiki does say there is a Windows version available too.

Reading your requirement, it seems to me that what Akhil has recommended will be the easiest way. Building an IR receiver and interfacing it to the PC solves it all. And the best part is, it will support almost all kind of IR remotes!

This page is about building an IR receiver and interfacing it to PC through the serial port.
    LIRC - Serial Port Receivers

Head over to the LIRC home page and explore more.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEan Anand Madanagopal @SeaBiscuit's MIRCAM has been selected as one of five finalists for the Google partnered "Start up India" to be launched by the PM on 16-01-16. Let us...
Project Abstract / Summary : The reported research examined the effect of SiO2 nanoparticles and fly ash on the mechanical properties of Nano-cement materials. The strength development of Portland cement...
How to remove the unread mails counter on the app icon in Android Lollipop? I am really annoyed to see that every time. P.S.I have a Micromax Canvas Xpress 2...
A new type of HLED (Hybrid light emitting diode) termed ‘BioLED’ developed by a team of German-Spanish scientists features protein cascade coatings in the form of rubber to make the...
Project Abstract / Summary : My project is about creating a game with a player controller holding a weapon(Eg: AK 47) and continuously re-spawning enemy AIs(Artificial Intelligence) which would approach...