Relationship between the Transmission distance and the Modulation scheme

Hi,

I understand that a QPSK modulated signal will be transmitted further than a 16QAM or 16PSK signal in a LOS transmission. What is the relationship between the transmitting power, the transmission distance, the Bandwidth and the type of digital modulation scheme for Microwave or LOS transmission?

Thanks,
Grace.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The gist of it is, the lower the bandwidth or power requirements to achieve a certain level of BER for a modulation scheme, the less power you need to transmit. If you keep power the same, then the transmission distance increases.

In the case of the modulation schemes you mention, for the same BER, QPSK requires less power. This is due to the constellations (the closer they are, the higher chance of error), energy per bit, power spectral density, etc.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A young man asked Socrates the secret of Success. Socrates told the young man to meet him near the river the next morning. They met. Socrates asked the young man...
One truck driver was doing his usual delivery to IMH (Institute of mental health). He discovered a flat tyre when he was about to go home. He jacked up the...
It may not be right place for introduction but i have not found and category or thread of this type. Hi all senior members and friends of this community. Luchi...
Hi i want to do some new project related to B.Tech degree of Information Technology and also in a C Programming as im very much interested in C please suggest...