Questions about open source software

Open Source software!!

What are open source softwares actually??
How to modify it according to our usage??

Replies

• xxxabhash007
    xxxabhash007
    Re: Open Source software!!

open source softwares(OSS) are actually available in source code form which permits the users to study, change and improve the software.
  • xxxabhash007
    xxxabhash007

They are available in the public domain.
  • Special
    Special

xxxabhash007
    open source softwares(OSS) are actually available in source code form which permits the users to study, change and improve the software.
    but how ?? can you give me some examples???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Before we go further in this discussion; it's always 'Software' not 'Softwares'. 😀

Open Source Software is software created in the public domain; meaning, the source code is made available to the public to modify, study, improve, change. That means, you can download the software, and modify it according to your needs and even sell it if the license permits.

How to modify it according to our usage??
    When you download any open source software, you will get all the source code files along with it. You may directly edit the code according to your need. Does this answer your query?
  • xxxabhash007
    xxxabhash007

Some of the examples of OSS are Linux,GNOME,Apache,OpenOffice,etc.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal

have a look
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Special
    Special

goyal420
    have a look
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    thanks a lot, it was really a useful one!!
  • Special
    Special

taking the discussion further, how to develop an open source software??
    also how to edit the source codes of any open source software??
    give me a real time example.....
    also just adding an add on or installing any add on in firefox is editing the source code of it????
  • Special
    Special
    how does companies offering open source software earn??
    for example lets take orkut, earlier orkut didnot advertise anything,
    yet it was the biggest social network and one of the most used site,
    i have heard that for every scrap sent by us it earned something,(please do correct me if i am wrong),
    a big company cannot merely run by just advertising and selling some products as their brand name..........😕
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Re: Open source software!!! part 2!

Companies offering open source software earn by offering certain paid services, like tech support. Although Ubuntu is free, if you want Canonical's engineers to help you in installing ubuntu or any thing related to it you will have to pay them. Although a home user might not want this paid service, because he can post his problem in an online forum (like CE) and get his answer free of cost, but companies that use ubuntu, maybe, on their server might not want to wait for a long time for a solution.

Also companies sell merchandise like mugs, t-shirts, etc that fetches them a substantial amount of money.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi

get the mozilla firefox source code #-Link-Snipped-#

the build requirements and instruction are given on the page
  • Special
    Special

@mad_scientist
    is this the only way to keep there project alive , and hire engineers and pay them a good package???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Special
    taking the discussion further, how to develop an open source software??
    also how to edit the source codes of any open source software??
    give me a real time example.....
    also just adding an add on or installing any add on in firefox is editing the source code of it????
    1. How to develop open source software?
    - Release your software source code to public and ask them to contribute. That's the simplest version of open source software.

2. also how to edit the source codes of any open source software??
    - There are many code editors available. You may use notepad or notepad++.

3. give me a real time example.....
    - Download WordPress from wordpress.org - an open source blogging engine. You'll get all source code when you download it. It's written in PHP.

4. also just adding an add on or installing any add on in firefox is editing the source code of it????
    - If any add on is available as open source software, you can edit it.
  • Special
    Special
    @big_k
    can you tell me how to release source code in public???
    and i did not get your last point the 4th one........
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Special
    @mad_scientist
    is this the only way to keep there project alive , and hire engineers and pay them a good package???
    Yes, support services earn enough money for these companies to run and keep the project live. WordPress benefits from premium accounts on wordpress.com and other projects.

Orkut is NOT open source.

Firefox earns lot of money through its deal with Google. Whenever you search from the default search box in Firefox the revenue generated is partly shared with Firefox. Since FF's reach is universal, it earns lot of money.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Special
    @big_k
    can you tell me how to release source code in public???
    and i did not get your last point the 4th one........
    Simply make it available for download on your blog/website or CE or simply share it with your friends.. If you want to go for a GPL license; there's a procedure to do that (I'm not an expert though).
  • Special
    Special
    @big_k
    please dont get irritated,
    but can you tell me how was orkut earning?
    and what is GPL??
  • Special
    Special
    @big_k
    my question was is just adding a youtube downloader or orbit downloader or just installing a proxy as ultrasurf on firefox is editing its code???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Special: I'm not getting irritated. However, you need to search online and try to learn things on your own. For the difficult part -we all are here.

but can you tell me how was orkut earning?
    - Orkut is owned by Google. Google places advertisements at various places in its website. Advertisers pay Google to display their advertisements in Orkut.

and what is GPL??
    - GPL is General Public License. Search the internet for more information on GPL. If you find it difficult to understand, let us know. We're here to help.

my question was is just adding a youtube downloader or orbit downloader or just installing a proxy as ultrasurf on firefox is editing its code???

- Nope, that is not 'editing' the code. It's just installing & running the software. Code is the actual instruction set that makes any software run. Do you know how to write code for computer, in any programming language like C, JAVA etc.?
  • Special
    Special
    @big_k
    offcourse i do know,
    and i already mentioned that orkut had no advertisements 4-5 years ago, i guess i am right at this...
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I guess you are referring to some of the email or something which states that, for the creator! For every scrap you make he earns few dollars.
    If you add a friend etc etc.. he will earn something!! That is not true!

Orkut was developed as a 20% independent project.
    So once it got good number of views etc, they are earning! I dont know before 4 -5 years whether it had ads or not though.
  • Special
    Special
    English-Scared
    So once it got good number of views etc, they are earning! I dont know before 4 -5 years whether it had ads or not though.
    i am using orkut for nearly 5 years and to best of my knowledge it didnot contain any add columns or any thing, i think the change came from last 2 years i guess,

and
    how just having good number of views will a website earn???? without having any advertisements?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have graduated last year from Electronics and Communication Engineering. I have one year of experience. I am planning to do Engineering Management Masters. I was told that it needs...
How a READ operation takes place? Please explain, with respect to SYSTEM..(device driver,controller..)
I have installed kiwi syslog server in my PC but it is not working properly and i think the reason is my firewall , I want to add exception in...
The MKS developed by Alpha Moscon does a good job in killing mosquitoes in 1 Acre area. Here's a demo of the product - [video=youtube;45IJWPNZjQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45IJWPNZjQ0[/video] How this system works:- (Source:...
The Research In Motion (RIM) company which offers Blackberry services in India has agreed to Government's demand to provide lawful access to its user data (Indian user data) and is...