Question About Phone Expandable Memory (microSD)

Let's say a phone has 8gb of internal memory and supports upto 32gb through microSD. Does that mean the phone will support total storage space of 8+32 = 40 GB? Or does it mean that the total memory cannot exceed 32GB?

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    a phone has 8gb of internal memory and supports upto 32gb through microSD
    If you have seen the above sentence, it means it can support 40GB.
    I hope what it means by that is that it can support 32Gb through microSD. That means, it can support a total of 40GB. 8gb is internal.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @aj: Are you sure. I think it's the OS/Firmware that decides how much memory is supported.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    The_Big_K
    @aj: Are you sure. I think it's the OS/Firmware that decides how much memory is supported.
    I hope they are saying that the phone can support 32GB through microSD even if it has 8GB internal memory because the phone OS may support a total of 40GB. Can't that be the fact. Which phone is it anyway? I am interested to know. Take a look at its FAQs which may be present somewhere in the internet.
    FAQs... Hmm. I see something in those three letters, biggie, connect those three letters to the mobile forum idea.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The question is not for any particular phone.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    If that is the case, then it differs from model to model. Please read the specifications carefully before buying and please do a good research about it before you buy it. The marketing managers of large firms are known for their usage of words, rather playing with words. 😉
  • sam_from_hell
    sam_from_hell
    I have a similar question, is the SD card the same as a SDHC card? Also my phone supports aupto 32GB external memory, but SD cards have max 4GB, and the 8(+)GB cards are SDHC only, so does my phone support SDHC too? I want to be sure before i buy, Thanks 😀
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, as far as I have heard, most phones are usually expandable upto 32 GB. That should mean the total memory including the internal memory should come to 32 GB, I think..

Not sure, though..
  • krishna dalmia
    krishna dalmia
    My device memory is expandable upto 32gb but my question is if i insert a memory card of 32gb ....will my device work properly without any problem .
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    As far i have concerned with this topic , i used to use 4gb memory card where they said 2gb expandable it was working good with a little lag time to time,and about your question i think is 40GB total because they said
    External memory:microsd, upto 32gb
    and if you don't want to take any kind of risk ,go for OTG Pendrives.
  • Rachit_l
    Rachit_l
    Sir if my phone expandable memory is upto 32 gb , then of how much gb's of pendrive i can connect using otg.. can i connect hard disk too??
  • PRASAD MAGDUM
    PRASAD MAGDUM
    Sir ,I have an 8GB expandable memory mobile & i can used a 32GB memory card in it then what happens?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google has released the next stable version of Chrome. They made no big announcements, just a simple post on Google Chrome Release blog. The Chrome team is happy to announce...
Google seems to be testing a cloud storage product and calling it 'Cloud Picker'. The tool is linked with Google accounts login. When few users tried to upload files to...
Something's cooking up in the building 2000 @ Google Campus (Called Googleplex). Sergey Bring (Google Co-Founder) and Vic Gundotra (VP) are involved in it. Is it a twitter killer or...
CEans, I see that we've 100% music freaks on CE. I need your help in selecting songs full of 'beats' I can listen during workouts in gym. 😛 I usually...
One young academically excellent person went to apply for a managerial position in a big company. He passed the first interview, the director did the last interview, made the last...