Question about Linux - Unix :)

I'm reading the C programming book, but I just want to know these things:

1. Linux is an operating system or it is just a "Kernel" ...
2. How "Kernel" is different from operating system.
3. Unix and Linux are the same? if not then what is the main difference between them?
4. C# is just a language, right? or it is an operating system or something like that? What makes it different from DOS - Disk Operating System?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kernel is a part of OS which is mostly responsible for communication and management of Hardware like device driver, memory management.
    1. Linux is an operating system or it is just a "Kernel" :
    Its both a kernel as well as operating system and Linux kernel is similar to Unix.
    3. Unix and Linux are the same? if not then what is the main difference between them?
    I don't have much knowledge about it but you can Major Linux Vs UNIX Kernel Differences
    4. C# is just a language, right? or it is an operating system or something like that? What makes it different from DOS - Disk Operating System?
    Yes C# is language which is uses .net framework to build programs and software.
    Every OS is written in some language like windows in C++ and its kernel in C. Linux is build in C language also.
    DOS is a operating system written in Assembly language.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    ianoop
    Kernel is a part of OS which is mostly responsible for communication and management of Hardware like device driver, memory management.
    1. Linux is an operating system or it is just a "Kernel" :
    Its both a kernel as well as operating system and Linux kernel is similar to Unix.
    I don't have much knowledge about it but you can Major Linux Vs UNIX Kernel Differences
    Yes C# is language which is uses .net framework to build programs and software.
    Every OS is written in some language like windows in C++ and its kernel in C. Linux is build in C language also.
    DOS is a operating system written in Assembly language.
    Thanks 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone: My name is Humberto Mendoza and I'm from Nicaragua. I'm a civil engineering student finishing my thesis (Earthquake-Resistant Connections in Precast Concrete Frames) for the degree of Civil...
We've covered quite a bit of Honda on VoiCE. The auto giant is known for their contribution to robotics. The company has just forayed into the automatic lawnmower markets with...
come , lets all learn together..... isnt learing fun???😀
Recently the Internet saw big publications taking strict actions against the authors who plagiarized content (basically, copied from other sources and published it as their own). Fareed Zakaria and Jonah...
Want to roam around themepark and at the same time tweet about it to your followers? Well an Israeli theme park is now offering donkeys equipped with Wi-Fi so that...