Should plagiarism be taken seriously?

Recently the Internet saw big publications taking strict actions against the authors who plagiarized content (basically, copied from other sources and published it as their own). Fareed Zakaria and Jonah Lehrer were fired from their work after getting caught in the act of plagiarism.

Computeres make it very easy to copy the content from other sources and then publish it as your own. I wish to collect views from our CEans whether plagiarism should be taken seriously or should we be more liberal on copy-pasting.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Plagiarism is rampant in scientific research, especially in India. I myself have been on one or two investigating situations. This is reprehensible. Words cannot describe the depravity of such an act.
    I fail to see how such people can live with themselves.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    After corruption ,plagiarism is the next thing that is rampant in India.

No need to look at such high levels as that of authors who indulge in plagiarism, just have a look at the students in colleges.

There have been many discussions in CE (absolute zero) about students copying their graphs from their senior's records. Isn't this plagiarism at a small level ?

Plagiarism of course is not a healthy thing, and it ruins creativity.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Want to roam around themepark and at the same time tweet about it to your followers? Well an Israeli theme park is now offering donkeys equipped with Wi-Fi so that...
hello everybody my name is mohamed fawzey im studying engineering im studying mechtronics and robotics engineering in assuit university in egypt the next year i'll
what kind of projects do i get in e&e stream? somebody help me
Dear All, Can anyone please tell me what is the factor of safety kept while designing surge control line in centrifugal compressors? Regards, Harshad Katre