Powering Modem With USB.

I am trying to power my ADSL2+ modem with USB rather than adapter.
Behind the modem, in the specification it's mentioned i/p : 5V DC & this is same amount of power USB draws, right ?
Then also, I am unable to power on the modem. What could be the reason ?
I am using the USB cable the same we use to power Arduino. As shown in image.

2013-07-28 16.32.43

Replies

• lal
    lal
    The voltage could be same. But, then it depends on the current modem draws too. Check the current output indicated on the modem's adapter. The maximum current output of USB port is some where around 700mA or even less. Without enough current output, the modem will not get sufficient power to power up.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Modem needs minimum power to kick start even if your voltage his higher and your current rating is lesser the power required is not met

Pls post the current rating given in the adapter that will easily tell us what can be done to overcome this issue
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Conqueror
    Pls post the current rating given in the adapter that will easily tell us what can be done to overcome this issue
    I/P : 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.3A
    O/P : +5V --- 1A
  • lal
    lal
    ah! There you go. The modem doesn't switch on because your USB port can't deliver 1A output.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    lal
    ah! There you go. The modem doesn't switch on because your USB port can't deliver 1A output.
    Anyother way that I can help me to switch On the modem with USB ?
  • lal
    lal
    Not quite sure about that.

I read about a software by Asus which helps increase the USB current output a while ago. It was used to charge iPhones which needed higher current output to charge from a USB communication port.

I was thinking about a weird idea of paralleling two USB communication ports from different hubs ๐Ÿ˜ Of course not the data lines! Hmm, not sure if it will work at all.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Why not implementing a current boost circuit to increase the current That will solve this issue for sure Mate

Have a good time trying it out
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    lal
    Not quite sure about that.

I read about a software by Asus which helps increase the USB current output a while ago. It was used to charge iPhones which needed higher current output to charge from a USB communication port.

I was thinking about a weird idea of paralleling two USB communication ports from different hubs ๐Ÿ˜ Of course not the data lines! Hmm, not sure if it will work at all.
    Somewhere I heard about External powered USB HUB you can use it as it will give you more current but again you must have to use one adaptor for HUB so why not use it for your MODEM? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • lal
    lal
    Yeah, right. An external powered USB HUB would be same as using the adapter to power the modem.

Well I read this, the connected device need to negotiate with the usb port to obtain more current. Else a normal usb communication port would supply only 100mA. By negotiating with the port, the device can draw current as high as 500mA (I don't know if it is possible to obtain more than 500mA by this way). I'm thinking may be the modem isn't made to negotiate with the USB port since it is expected to be powered from an external adapter.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Use the +5V rail of your PSU, if there is ๐Ÿ˜ Be sure to add resistors to limit current of course.

Or, use the existing +12V rails with a 5V voltage regulator.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IIM CAT is introducing online registrations for the CAT 2013. Starting August 5, 2013 interested candidates will be able to download the electronic vouchers online from the new dedicated CAT...
we have seen that many realy talented people get eliminated in the group discussion round in a hiring process.Yes I accept that it is too important for a management position...
Well, I hope most of you folks have seen my avatar on my profile page (go to my profile page and see the animation).๐Ÿ˜ Well, if some of you are...
I was watching a show today on History Channel about Gods & Aliens. As per Greek Mythology, Each & every lord from Zeus,Poseidon,Hades & all his brothers/sisters which he resurrected...
https://www.crazyengineers.com/threa...to-monitor-your-heart-rate.69430/#post-287628 well we started to feel that many of the challenging tech made by UG students here are copied and replicated exactly by other countries and thus our nation is...