Magnetic Door Locks. How Does It Work ?

I would like to know the construction & working(in detail) of magnetic door locks.

Few questions :
- The magnets in locks are temperory magnets or permanent ?
- If it's temporary then what amount of current is needed to apply to make it locked firmly.
- How can magnetic locks can be controlled using Arduino

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    When artificial magnet is used the current required depends on the size of the material which has to be magnetised

So do specify the size of the lock you are looking to make That can make calculations easier for us
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would like to know the construction & working(in detail) of magnetic door locks.

Few questions :
    - The magnets in locks are temperory magnets or permanent ?
    - If it's temporary then what amount of current is needed to apply to make it locked firmly.
    - How can magnetic locks can be controlled using Arduino
    Hi abhishek we miss u a lot.
    Here is what i had found on the web;
    1)it uses electromagnets for locking doors.
    2)it requires very lesd power and its near 3watts which is far less when compared to power consumed by light.

There are two types of locks:
    1)fail safe: the lock gets opened if there is a loss of power
    2)fail secure:the lock gets closed when denergised.
    but I dont know about the 3rd question.sorry.
  • Janaa karti
    Janaa karti
    i had a doubt on induction of current
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Okay guys, thanks for help.
    Assume size of lock is 3x1.5x0.75 inch.The part to be magnetized is around 1.5x0.75x0.50 inch. How can I calculate the current required to magnetise it ?

Magnets made from which material can align all dipoles in one direction ? I want strong magnet. Does temperature affects magnetic property. If yes then how to protect it from that ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have started from basics of RPi GPIO. With no hassle, Blinked LEDs. So, I know the basics. But now I wanna dig down more & I couldn't find any...

Hai

Hai fnds.this s janaa frm madurai,tamil nadu.i m doing electrnics and communication engineering...i m so willing to do some innovations and i suppose to see ths site when i was...
My friend tried to stream live events from #Livestream.com. But the problem is that the video is buffering a lot. he is not able to stream at all. The video...
i jus want to clarify a doubt that in dc generator usually magnets are stable and the armature shaft is allowed to rotate.what ll happen if we do in reverse...
Hi CEans I had heard lot about the utilization of magnetic power in various modes in automobile Industry.It Includes magnetic suspension,magnetic ride control,locks,etc but I want to know whether there...