Physics of Human Body.

When i was doing my 8th semester, we had a paper like this, as an elective.

i did not choose to study it though, because it appeared to be more of a medical paper, then engineering.

but it still left me curious as to what was taught in it.

i have also come to know, that this subject is not taught in most of the colleges. so how many of you mechanical guys had the opportunity to study this ? and what relation did this have with engineering. share your knowledge.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Locomotion (Joints, levers, action of muscles), pumping of blood through arteries and veins (with non return valves), pumping air through lungs, heat transfer and evaporative cooling to maintain body temperature, transducers for sound, and optics of sight are a few areas of physics in physiology. There are more.
    There is a whole lot of chemical engineering also.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Oh scientists and engineers are amazed with the human body. They keep trying to make one artificially but they can't seem to get it right yet (robot). The heart operates like a positive displacement pump. Any restriction to flow will put strain on the pump (clogged arteries). The brain like the ultimate CPU. How we keep balance, how we are able to stay upright and how the focal lens in our eyes adjust to light are all Engineering from the greatest engineer of all.....GOD
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    CE Designer
    Oh scientists and engineers are amazed with the human body. They keep trying to make one artificially but they can't seem to get it right yet (robot). The heart operates like a positive displacement pump. Any restriction to flow will put strain on the pump (clogged arteries). The brain like the ultimate CPU. How we keep balance, how we are able to stay upright and how the focal lens in our eyes adjust to light are all Engineering from the greatest engineer of all.....GOD

and to add to this list, i would say, that our hands and fingers are the natural end-effectors and actuators.

our organs of sense, are nothing but natural sensors, and what not.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Say hello to Remy - a machine learning system developed by engineering team at MIT that will generate TCP congestion-control algorithms that outperform those created by humans. Professor Hari Balakrishnan,...
I see 40 logged in members! Something I've seen after a really long time - after we got screwed by Google for the nasty 404 errors. Hope the trend continues...
Hi CEians, I got admission in one of the cdac authorised training center, SOFTPOLYNOMIAL (I) pvt. Ltd - Nagpur on PG-IVESD , I don't know whether training and placed are...
I see that the CDAC admission seekers are flooding the site - which is a good thing. I hope CE's providing them all the help they need. I want to...
Dear Friends and Colleagues, I am a post-graduate student at Loughborough University in the School of Civil and Building Engineering. I am in the process of writing my dissertation and...