PHP- SQL utility

hi guys...

i'm developing a site 4 my college.... theres a link onthe site to checkur results...

there's this backend datbase(MySQL), the front end being HTML+PHP+CSS....

the database table(called result) contains columns (Roll NUmber, subject 1, subj2 etc)...

i ask the user to enter his roll number via a HTML form(POST method).... and on the target page of the form, i retreive the roll number he had entered....

i then compare the eneterd value with entries in the 'Roll NUmber' column of the databsae table.... and when a match is found, i print the entire record for that roll number...

plain and simple..

but i'm facing a problem...

when i try to retrieve the record (of the enetered roll number) using mysql_fetch_array($xyz), i get an error...

here's the source code...

the user form (collecting the roll number)

Roll Number:

processing the form(comparing with database)

$rno = $_POST["Roll Number"];
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","");
if (!$con)
{
die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}
mysql_select_db("database", $con);
$data = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM result WHERE 'Roll Number' = $rno ");
while(mysql_fetch_row($data))
{
echo "HI";
}
mysql_close($con)
?>

please help me figure out the error.... i'll be really grateful...

Replies

• elric
    elric
    i think there is an error in your query string
    try something like
    $data = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM result WHERE 'Roll Number' = \"".$rno."\"" );
  • hbk
    hbk
    thanks for the reply, but even this doesnt seem to work..... it gives the same output(blank screen--> no error message though) as with my original bit of code...
  • elric
    elric
    ok i have added mysql_error() calls to try debuggin where the error is, try out the following code and see what happens:

• hbk
    hbk
    Thanks for the reply.. though even this doesnt work....

it gives the following error message:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

now what does that mean??

the entire source code is as follows:

Result
    include "menu.php";
    ?>

$rno = $_POST["Roll Number"];
    $con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","");
    if (!$con)
    {
    die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
    }
    mysql_select_db("database", $con);
    $data = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM result WHERE 'Roll Number' = $rno ") or die (mysql_error());
    $row=mysql_fetch_row($data) or die (mysql_error());
    while($row)
    {
    echo "HI";
    $row=mysql_fetch_row($data) or die (mysql_error());
    }
    mysql_close($con)
    ?>
  • elric
    elric
    ok the error means your query isnt proper.
    try this:

now the query that php is sending mysql will also be printed, now try to execute this query from the mysql shell and see what happens.
    I guess that not using the escape slash for 'Roll Number' has made the query malformed. Anyways check the new code.
  • hbk
    hbk
    thanks for the suggestion elric.... i tried what u said...

but that gives the following error message---

SELECT * FROM result WHERE \'Roll Number\' = You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '\'Roll Number\' =' at line 1

please help...
  • elric
    elric
    ok, the escape slashes werent needed for 'Roll Number'
    next your query is
    SELECT * FROM result WHERE 'Roll Number' =
    so that means your $rno is blanck, that is $_POST["Roll Number"] is empty.
    Iam quite uncomfortable using a space in the name for the text box name, so try this in your html form
    Roll Number:

and let your php file be
    Also which version of php are you using? if you are using php5 then shouldn't be a problem but as far as i know in php4 (not sure), you cant embed a variable within a string and expect the string to have the contents of the string, ie.
    $rno = "foo";
    $query = "select * from $rno";
    now $query wont be a string "select * from foo"
    to obtain which you will need to use the dot operator as
    $query = "select * from ".$rno
    above is just an example. So to support backward compatibility dont embed variables within strings, if your script has to run on a php4 running server it would be a problem.
  • th3 ied kid
    th3 ied kid
    well try using (back tic)` instead of(small quote) ' over the field names coz i found the default myphp admin softwtre doing xactly that.
    Secondly use the less power full quote to cloak the more power full one i.e. use less of " and more ' whenever possible.try this:
    $query ='SELECT * FROM result WHERE `Roll Number` ='. $rno;
    coz something like this worked in php5-mysql combi engine in my case.
    Well take a look at this working piece of line:

$query='UPDATE chat SET Data ='."$val".'WHERE Pass ='.$Too;
    Please note that i have 2 kinds of quotes over variables and i didn't use back tic but i tested otherwise too and it seems to work with me
  • hbk
    hbk
    hi guys...

thank u all for ur time n effort...

i finally figured out the solution (though it happened by chance)

here is the FORM page:

Roll Number:

and here is the other page

$xyz=$_POST["Roll"];
    $res = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM result where ID = '$xyz' ",$db);
    if ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($res)) {
    echo "\n";
    echo "\n";
    do {
    printf("\n", $myrow["Name"], $myrow["ID"], $myrow["Subject 1"], $myrow["Subject 2"], $myrow["Subject 3"], $myrow["Subject 4"], $myrow["Subject 5"]);
    } while ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($res));
    echo "
    NameRoll NumberSubject 1Subject 2Subject 3Subject 4Subject 5
    %s%s%s%s%s%s%s
    \n";
    } else {
    echo "Sorry, no records were found!";
    }
    ?>

hope this helps anyone with a similar problem...

cheers... and thx again...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i've been using MATLAB for some time now and have begun to realiza its true power.... i wanted to do a project in MATLAB.... i did a bit of study...
The cocky exponential function e^x is strolling along the road insulting the functions he sees walking by. He scoffs at a wandering polynomial for the shortness of its Taylor series....
๐Ÿ˜› hi to all m very happy to join the forum
CEans, Your favorite browser gets a major upgrade! FireFox 3 is now officially available! Here: Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Folks @ Mozilla are aiming...
I'm working on an automated, programmable hydroponics system (legal guys, c'mon now ๐Ÿ˜€ ). I've been scouring the web for suppliers of small, cheap, rugged, virtually maintenance-free equipment, but all...