Nanotube Vibrations Can Be Used To Store Data

As the world moves towards big data storage, the engineers, physicists and scientists are faced with a new challenge - developing new data storage mechanisms. A team of researchers at Technische Universitaet Muenchen (TUM) has found out that the nanotubes can be used to store energy in the form of processed quantum mechanical vibrations. A carbon nanotube clamped at ends can be exited to oscillate. The team discovered that contrary to the belief that such a vibration system would be highly damped and the vibrations would die out quickly; the string vibrated more than a million times - allowing the information to be stored for about one second. Though that might sound like a very short time to you and me, the TUM team says that one second is a long time to work with.

carbon-nanotube

The team found out ways to write and read information 'optoelectronically' - by placing electric field near the vibrating nanotube so that they could select two of the several equivalent states of the string. The team further believes that this is an important discovery and may take us a step closer to realising a quantum computer.

slide

We wish the team all the best!

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    This is a nascent tech, but its ramifications are probably bigger than we can imagine. What if they are able to make it work at high temperatures? That will be a very important advancement in high temperature computing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want to know about EBIZ ..how we can earn money from this?how it will work.. please can anyone help me i in this ragard this
please provide latest paper presentations for mechanical engineer.
i want to make project on Home automation system with GSM .If we are used Reed sensor then A/D converter is required?
can anyone help me how to construct the thermocouple?
Graphene Aerogel is the new world's lightest material created by research team headed by Prof. Gao Chao at Department of Polymer Science and Engineering in China's Zhejiang University. The new...