mathematics puzzle

mathematics

A family I know has several children. Each boy in this family has as many sisters as brothers but each girl has twice as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there?

Replies

• Banashree Patra
    Banashree Patra
    A family I know has several children. Each boy in this family has as many sisters as brothers but each girl has twice as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there?A family I know has several children. Each boy in this family has as many sisters as brothers but each girl has twice as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there.
    ...........plz answer this question
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to quiz/puzzles/mathematics section with a better title.
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    There are multiple soultion to this puzzle, the smalles solution is 2 brother & 2 sister. The series can be developed as following,

No of Brother : 2,4,6,8,10,...
    No of Sister : 2,3,4,5,6,...

It is easy to derive the expression for the same based on this.
  • vinci
    vinci
    3 sisters and 4 brothers .So easy,

Give me more puzzles
  • Banashree Patra
    Banashree Patra
    thanks guysssssssssssssssssssssssssss................
  • vinci
    vinci
    2 brother and 2 sister cant be the solution to this problem
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I dont think it has multiple answers as well(Inconsistent).
    The system is very much consistent (has a unique answer).
    4-boys, 3 girls.
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
    ya, even i thnk unique solution... 3 girls and 4 boys............
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    I think you guys should think more before coming to a solution. Sorry no personal offense to any of you guys, I know you are all genius on your own.

Let me expain you in simple words,
    1) First Case, 2 brother & 2 sister
    ==> each girl has 1 sister & 2 brother so condtion is met for the puzzle.
    2) Second case, 4 brother & 3 sister
    ==> each girl has 2 sister & 4 brother, so condition is true here too... :O
    3) Third case, 6 brother & 4 sister
    ==> each girl has 3 sister & 6 brother, so maybe this is true too, I guess.

So basically when you counting than you should not count the girl itself in number of sisters.
    And now let we have a equation for the puzzle,

# of Boys = 2x
    # of Girls = x + 1
    where x = 1,2,3,4,5,6,...,n
    By the way even we can get the solution for x=0, cause 1 girl has no sister(0) and 0 x 2 = 0 brother too.

• Sagar07
    Sagar07
    @ rajdeep: there are 2 conditions given in a question.... u r considering only 1.... each boy in a family has as many brothers as sisters... so, only 4 boys and 3 girls is a solution...
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    Thanx Sagar for pointing out that point. It went totally unnoticed by me. Sorry for that.
    By the way still it has more than one solution, which can satisfy the condition.
    Here it is,
    1 = > Only 1 Brother
    2 = > Only 1 Sister
    3 => As we all said, 3 Sister & 4 Brother.
    😀
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    RajdeepCE :
    I dont think you can solve equations by multiplying by 0 on both sides, well we are aware that its not correct, Its a fundamental rule, all operators must satisfy their inverses.
    If a is added to b to get c, then a subtracted from c should yeild b.
    If a is multiplied by b to get c, then c divided by a should yeild b. Does your multiplication holds this rule valid?

Physically, there is nothing as 0 or infinity. Mathematicians chose 0 as the smallest number one could think of and infinity as largest number.
    Hence Limits were introduced. We cannot treat 0 and infinity physically.

Taking matrices would help you to understand this system is consistent.

Take care,
    Ciao.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Formula 1 racing is an important event in the automotive world. Its racing rules change which affect the upcoming technologies. Can we have the rules and if you are a...
hello sir, I am a fresher, completed my B. Tech from Information Tech, this year. Now I am searching for job. But presently I am in very big confusion. While...
Salay walked 10 m towards West from his house. Then he walked 5 m turning to his left. After this he walked 10 m turning to his left and in...
JoikuSpot Size :0.41 MB JoikuSpot Light turns your phone to a 3G wifi hotspot. Connect your laptop to web using your phone as 3G wifi router. Wifi tethering with your...
Hey Folks, I just wondered, we live in a country where people do not have the time for anything, and the internet is so slow in MOST of the places....