Matej Kurent - The bond between iPhone and Luxury, Calypso.

CEans,
Mr. Matej Kurent is a serial entrepreneur. He did a B.SC. in Chemistry and MBA from University of Kansas. He loves making start-ups and new creative businesses especially in the product sector. He worked mainly in Media and telecommunications sector.Then he spent some years as an investment director in venture capital fund. His first start-up was a contact lens retailer that in a couple of years grew to be the biggest in Slovenia, he exited this company in 2008.In 2009 he started his second start-up: #-Link-Snipped-#. Here are Mr. Matej's answers to the questions we had for him.

CE: Mr.Matej tell us about yourself and the CalypsoCrystal team in a few words.
Mr.Matej: CalypsoCrystal is a young and dynamic company based in Ljubljana, Slovenia in Europe. Our aim is to be the leading designer of premium accessories for mobile devices. And the team is comprised of experienced serial entrepreneurs and design and sales professionals.

CE: You have entered a path less trodden, not many have tried to come up with luxury accessories for i-phones. So what gave you the courage to venture into this? How did you know that your product will work for sure?
Mr.Matej: I deeply think that we are in fashion business and not in gadget business. With our products people are expressing their sign of style and taste. Luxury is never out of fashion. If you just look at appeal that iPhone has it is logical conclusion that iPhone is also a fashion item. And a fashion item need a fashion accessory. Do I know it will work for sure? No. But I have guts feeling that we are spot on!

CE: How did you get the team together and work as a unit to start the venture?
Mr.Matej: When you live in a ecosystem where you on a daily basis meet with creative people, with people that want to do something special it is not a hard task to find great talents! i have been lucky that I am very active in entrepreneur scene here in Slovenia and I know pretty much what is going on and who the right people are.

CE: What were the lessons from your first venture (contace lens) that aided you in this venture?
Mr.Matej: Hm. Lessons. Never stop believing in your idea. Adapt idea to the signals you get from the market. Market heavily, innovate even more!

CE: Was there ever a hesitation regarding the credibility of your product?
Mr.Matej: No. Not at all.

CE: How challenging was it to sell the product to the customers amid the rising competition in the iphone accessories sector?
Mr.Matej: Not much. Remember, we are the only luxury designer and there is not much competition. We are catering to different crowd that other people do.

CE: What were the channels that were used to reach out to your customers?
Mr.Matej: We are using any channel imaginable. Of course we are heavily on public relations and marketing. And we have carefully selected our retail partners. Since we are a luxury provider we do not want to over saturate the market. There should be considerable desire to get our products.

CE: If you were the user which feature would you quote as the most attracting one?
Mr.Matej: Crystal Dock: Gorgeous looking.

CE: What do you think will be the growth or demand for the crystal dock in the years to come?
Mr.Matej: Hard call. But we will not stay with only one product. We are launching CalypsoCase and we will be launching new products soon.

CE: First crystal docks, now the new addition, the calypso cases, what else do you see in the near future?
Mr.Matej: Stay tuned!

CE: Thanks for taking time to answer all the questions. What is your message to the aspiring entrepreneurs in CE?
Mr.Matej: Just never stop!

[โ€‹IMG]
The crystal dock and the founder of Calypso crystal, Mr.Matej.

Image: Courtesy of Calypsocrystal.com
Photographer(of the pic of Mr.Matej):Ales Beno, Manager Magazine

Replies

• Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    Awesome Read ๐Ÿ˜€

Good Job CT!!
  • MegaByte
    MegaByte

Thats indeed a great start CT! Good going.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    The interview is superb. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Market heavily, innovate even more!
    Good line.

Nice interview CT!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Disappointed with the comments made on this interview.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Nice work!! Expecting more interesting interviews!! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

But I never thought accessories for a phone can be made into a business in itself..
    I personally don't use any accessories for my phone, so, it never occurred to me..

Meanwhile, another question is, why restrict the products to iPhone alone? He himself says it's a fashion business and not a tech business. So, I think, the technical things in the product are anyway going to be outsourced.
    So, if they can also reach out with products for other leading smart phones, it might be better, right?
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    cooldudeiet
    Awesome Read

Good Job CT!!
    thanks CD ๐Ÿ˜€

MegaByte

Thats indeed a great start CT! Good going..
    The interview is superb.
    Thanks Megabyte ๐Ÿ˜€ watch out for more... optimistix has some cool ones lined up

AbraKaDabra
    Good line.

Nice interview CT!
    thanks AKD ๐Ÿ˜€

silverscorpion
    Nice work!! Expecting more interesting interviews!!

But I never thought accessories for a phone can be made into a business in itself..
    I personally don't use any accessories for my phone, so, it never occurred to me..

Meanwhile, another question is, why restrict the products to iPhone alone? He himself says it's a fashion business and not a tech business. So, I think, the technical things in the product are anyway going to be outsourced.
    So, if they can also reach out with products for other leading smart phones, it might be better, right?
    yeah more interviews have been lined up ๐Ÿ˜€

well he kept telling he has more in store may be that one might come up soon too ๐Ÿ˜€ its up to him
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    It was a nice read! Waiting for the more interesting ones! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Wishing Mr. Matej All the Very Best!

PS : Any limit for your questions, CT? Simply asking ๐Ÿ˜€
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    thanks sahithi ๐Ÿ˜
  • Umesh Kumar Rai
    Umesh Kumar Rai
    Nice one indeed... ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi! Can anyone give me some helpful punchline for a Civil Engr.?๐Ÿ˜• because we are having a new organizational shirt, and we need some kicking cool punchline for our shirt!...
Hi, This is jugal kishore, i was doing my final year in computer science stream. As per curriculum i have do a major and a mini project as well. I...
IN balancing of primary forces in reciprocating engine , when we consider a mass diametrically opposite to the given mass , and we resolve both the masses why do we...
HTC first said that HTC Desire won't get gingerbread update. But now, they updated their facebook page saying HTC Desire phone will get gingerbread update soon. That's kind of a...
Motorola Charm MB502 has been a decent offering from the company that invented mobile phones. ( Recommended Reading: Martin Cooper โ€“ The Father of Mobile Phone - CrazyEngineers ) ....