Load on a column

Columns are vertical members, For example: pillars.

As far as beams are concerned. it is easy to represent the type of loads acting on them by means of free body diagrams. but how can this be done in the case of columns. ?

Now consider this example:

There is a clock hanging on the wall. considering the wall to be a column, how can the free body diagram of the system be drawn, to represent that the clock exerts a load on the wall, by virtue of its weight.

The approach which i considered was, first to resolve the weight component of the clock into the two rectangular components( W*sin Theta and W*cos theta).

How to proceed after this.

Replies

• sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    no answers yet!!😔
    plz answer this...
    me too waiting for the answer..
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    sweet_honey
    no answers yet!!😔
    plz answer this...
    me too waiting for the answer..
    Do you have any ideas about this ? share them out , even if they are wrong.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    i discussed it with my friend also and we were confused if the clock hung on the wall with a nail shud be considered or not..
    since its not mentioned
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    sweet_honey
    i discussed it with my friend also and we were confused if the clock hung on the wall with a nail shud be considered or not..
    since its not mentioned
    Yeah the nail should be considered as well. the weight of the nail can be compounded with that of the clock.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    zaveri
    The approach which i considered was, first to resolve the weight component of the clock into the two rectangular components( W*sin Theta and W*cos theta).
    i didnt undrstand it because the weight of the clock wud be downwards and the angle wud be zero than how come u resolve it?
    may be m wrong.. plz correct me with your thoughts..
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    sweet_honey
    i didnt undrstand it because the weight of the clock wud be downwards and the angle wud be zero than how come u resolve it?
    may be m wrong.. plz correct me with your thoughts..

no i was wrong. the weight acting would be downwards, and parallel to the column, so hence there is no point in resolving it.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    zaveri
    no i was wrong. the weight acting would be downwards, and parallel to the column, so hence there is no point in resolving it.
    may be some concept of action and reaction wud work..
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    sweet_honey
    may be some concept of action and reaction wud work..

this concept works everywhere, when it comes to any solid mechanics problem.

what i want to know is , what the free body diagram of this system would look like
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    zaveri
    this concept works everywhere, when it comes to any solid mechanics problem.

what i want to know is , what the free body diagram of this system would look like
    i actually didnt know the answer but tried to solve and didnt reach anywhere..
    so m looking forward for an appropriate answer..
  • Saugata
    Saugata
    Columns are placed directly under a load. The free body diagram will be most probably a straight-line in downward direction representing a compressive load which you can calculate by rankine's formula. Further depending on the length of the column you have to consider the buckling effect. In case of the wall the portion just underneath the clock will support the load as a column in addition to the rest portion of the wall which will act as a load bearing beam. This is just a proposition.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the basic difference between electrical and electronics engineering? Is it based on voltages or there are other factors as well?
Why are the power system ratings designed as multiples of 11kV? The reason may be for similar calculations, but that doesn't sound logical. Could someone explain?
Nowadays we can see a lot of cases in the news, about road mishaps, especially of lorries, trucks and buses colliding with each other. but the problem is quite natural....
I heard that in heavy vehicle like buses and trucks, the compressor is coupled with the engine for air conditioner. But What about Cars? If its compressor is coupled with...
Hi folks, After the last year’s renaissance, Techkriti is striking back with vengeance, in its very first green avatar, to redefine the technology which will transform the future of the...