Air Conditioners in Cars

I heard that in heavy vehicle like buses and trucks, the compressor is coupled with the engine for air conditioner. But What about Cars? If its compressor is coupled with engine, then how the a/c runs even when the car is OFF?

(I don't own a car and also am not sure that a/c runs when car is OFF)

Clarify me!!! 😀

Replies

• PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    AC doesn't work when car if off, only Fan Works.. AC whether heating or cooling only works when Engine is running.
  • gowthamanbu
    gowthamanbu
    #-Link-Snipped-# So Compressor is coupled with Engine only Right??
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    gowthamanbu
    So Compressor is coupled with Engine only Right??
    the compressor is driven by a belt attached to the vehicle's engine which is engaged by an electromagnetic clutch or the compressor clutch.
    this could be found right behind the radiator.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    In all the cases the air conditioner compressor is coupled to the crankshaft, via a belt.

but hey #-Link-Snipped-#, now you are saying that, when the engine is not running, then the fan alone runs . how ? what powers the fan ? do we have a separate electric motor for that.

I am hearing of this for the first time.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Actually I don't know exact logic behind that. In car (Alto K10), Fan of AC run while "ON" Condition and AC Runs only when Engine is at "Ignition" Condition.

May be fan is coupled with battery of vehicle. As far as compressor is concerned, it coupled with crackshaft via belt.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi folks, After the last year’s renaissance, Techkriti is striking back with vengeance, in its very first green avatar, to redefine the technology which will transform the future of the...
I heard of this course when i was in high school. It sounded quite promising, since it appears to be a new avenue altogether to explore. but this course cannot...
I am Somanaathan, a B.Tech Production Engineer from NIT, Trichy (2006-2010 batch). I live in Chennai (the place is very dear to me). I am with TI Cycles of India...
I only have 10 followers. I tried some ways posted on various websites like tweeting about Trending Topics, Using hash-tags etc... but didn't succeed. Do you guys have any ideas...
Computer lovers good news you can run more than 5 is on single computer Step1:go to google search box type like this virtual machine for windows or Linux etc.. Step2:then...