Kill Switch in Ignition System

Please help me by giving some useful information on kill switches used in ignition system

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Kill switches work by interruption of the ignition circuit being in direct series of the ignition switch. Usually by grounding out.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    True, the Kill Switches cut the power supply to the ignititon coil, fuel injectors and fuel pump tripping the circuit to these essential components.

They are ususally used to protect the vehicle from theft.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Here in the US kill switches are only used for safety on motorcycles, snow machines and boats etc. to kill the engine or throttle in an emergency. Sometimes they are tied into a lanyard.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The Kill Switch theoretically cuts Off power to the ciruitry which starts the engine and make it run continously further by energising the ignition coil and operating the fuel pump and fuel injectors.

Hence the main purpose is ofcourse to throttle the engine and control speeds in critical condititons.

KILL SWITCH AS ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM :

But I had read about a system in which the Kill switch is coupled with the ignition key and when the ignition key is turned Off after stopping the vehicle, the Kill switch trips the circuit and shuts off all the crucial systems like the ignition coil, fuel injectors and the fuel pump. And to start the vehicle the next time, one has to first activate the Kill Switch so that the necessary circuit is Restored and the fuel ignition system is made working again. And note that the Kill Switch is placed in a secret location in the vicinity of the dashboard or the drivers seat and its placment is only known to the driver and no one else. So the fugitives cannot get the vehicle started on their own, no matter what they do.

Hence if a thief tries to steal the vehicle , the most he can do is turn the crank once and get an initial bump but the vehicle will NOT RUN further USING ANY of its FUEL SYSTEMS to START the NORMAL WORKING of the ENGINE. And this clearly indicates that the thieves cant get the vehicle RUNNING even for five meters. And this makes the utilisation of the Kill Switch as an Effective Anti- Theft system for vehicles.

This was the reason that a mention about the system used to prevent thefts was done earlier. Hope there are no doubts remaining.
  • aviralbhatnagar
    aviralbhatnagar
    Sir,
    Could you please provide circuit of kill switch if you can
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    is this what you're looking for??

URL : Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos
  • gohm
    gohm
    The anti theft switch mentioned is an idea sometimes used, although technically it is not a kill switch, it is a lock out.
  • aviralbhatnagar
    aviralbhatnagar
    mad_scientist
    is this what you're looking for??

thanks for the circuit

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dears, How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. Actually, I am a new memeber in this website and I hope we will get a benift from us...
Can we determine the # of poles and zeros from an ARMA(p,q) process?
< Post Removed & Thread Locked>
automation make the world simple😁dare to be different
what do u think which is best field............ *NETWORKING CISCO,MCSE,RHCE,SOLARIES.....ETC. *PROGRAMMING *DATABASE MANAGEMENT *HARDWARE *WEB-DEVLOPEMENT JUST GIVE RANKING.....POST YOUR OPENION AND WHY AND IF U HAVE ANY NEW IDEA JUST...