Is Internet Ruining The Languages ?

After the evolution of internet (especially social networking & chatting application) , We have seen the worst changes in the way English or anyother language been spoken.
There used to be time when misspell was considered as grammatical mistake, now it's considered as "trend".

Even in CE, we have found many newbie CEans using internet slangs & shortcut languages in the forum. People is ppl now, What's up is wassap now, wait is w8 now.
there's just no grammar rules, no spell rules anymore.

So,Do you think Social networking websites & Chat application in Internet is killing the language ?

Debate On, CEans !

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Is it internet or the winds coming from united states of America that's killing it? You talk to someone from UK, chances are very less that you will face the bad English or shortcuts in the language.

I firmly believe that its US, that screwing the language. There the problem is im-migrant from many countries that do not have good command over language, so they get into the practice of Bad English.

Does that sound logical?

-CB
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    lol 😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've thought over this and have now began thinking that maybe we should call the 'slags' an evolution of the language. It was a painful discovery that I was among the minority who really find it difficult to read and understand the SMS language. But I better adopt the change than try to fight with it - because I doubt perfection would win over convenience.

I like the Chinese attitude. They care a damn about the language and being correct. Either they'll speak Chinese or you'll have to 'try' and understand what they're trying to say.

But - the Internet has nothing to do with it. If anything's to be blamed, blame the keyboards that are difficult to master and make us do extra efforts to convey what we really want to say.

I don't know if I'm logical at all; but you can't really do anything about a person who sends you a resume with cover letter written in SMS text. I've enough copies of it.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    SMS lingo is for masses. As you move up, you'll definitely feel the need to know proper English. And then people will cry foul why weren't they taught proper English in the first place!!!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    SMS language was invented recently to reduce typing time by us

But we must also say that it is a localised phenomenon We are not in a position to understand the SMS lingo of UK and the vice versa is also true so This is a new era for etymology and I think these may find their way into the dictionary real soon
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    People ought to change themselves and choose a standard for themselves. There's basically English UK which we Indians follow (as it was taken from the British) and English US which is quite different. The way people pronounce words differs at both these destinations. Using proper English is a thing of the past. If you look at old school English that was used by Shakespeare or any other writer of the previous eras, you'd find a strange difference. Even when I'm typing this post, I've actually combined both US and UK based English forms to add masala to my conversation (now that makes it English India). If you look at the formats used on your computer, you'd get a variety of English styles, and your Microsoft Word would also change spellings for various breeds. For eg: it's called a 'favourite' in the UK, while it's 'favorite' in US.

SMS lingo started being used more often after SMS came into being - and this was in the early 1980s. We'd probably started destruction of English language right from the usage of telegram itself! Messengers on the Internet came a long time after that!

Verdict: Don't blame internet for being an open platform. It's just the cheapest form of telegram at present!
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Crazyboy and anoopthefriend make me think twice before i started to text.From my point of view , Its not the fault of the innovations such as "social networking" or anything other than that.We have grown in technological era and every invention makes us more lazy.Everyone try to be more sophisticated and comfortable including me.I will definitely blame myself and other lazy creatures like me outside in this earth.......

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

​ Shrishti Asthana, a class XI student from Chandigarh, Punjab has made it to the finals of the Google Science Fair 2013. Her project titled “Solar Light Assisted nanoZnO Photo...
Everyone of you might be knowing what's GPG Key, if not then read this article. There are plenty ways to create GPG keys, some developers even developed application to automatically...
Wish you many many happy returns of the day aarthivg Have a rocking year ahead. 🎉
Sony's new Eye (additional $60) uses AR and PS4 controllers to create something really really amazing! Don't take my word for it folks, just check out following video -
That was the best title I could come up with and if you think it can be better; let me know. As we face the shortage of usable energy (say...