Should We Try To Convert Any Physical Motion Into Electricity?

That was the best title I could come up with and if you think it can be better; let me know. As we face the shortage of usable energy (say Electricity) I'm wondering if trying to convert every motion into electricity would be a great idea. Let me explain the idea -

1. The movement of door knob when opening and closing the door - can be converted to electrical energy.

2. When we sit on a chair, the cushion gets depressed (read motion!) - can be converted into electricity.

3. Swivel / Revolving chairs => Motion => May allow us to generate electricity.

4. Pressing keys on keyboard => Motion => Electricity.

5. Opening tap on the wash basin => Motion => Electricity.

6. Sliding curtains => Motion => Electricity.

7. Opening doors of the car

...and you can think of 1000s of such motions which will allow us to create electricity. The big question is how do we use the small amounts of electricity that we generate through each motion. Maybe, we'll have to think of connecting everything to a grid so that we can distribute the power evenly.

The crazy electrical engineer in me is trying to solve the energy problems of the world. Tell me whether it's possible? Should research be done on this? What are the advantages / disadvantages?

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    I hope researches are being done.

1. From the footsteps, while we walk.

2. From the speed beaker in the road.

But I doubt, the energy produced will be very small.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    There is also doubt if generated energy is for a moment and very small then challenge is to store such small and momentary energy. If such technology is not much expensive then we can see good future of converting physical motion into energy.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Harshad Italiya
    There is also doubt if generated energy is for a moment and very small then challenge is to store such small and momentary energy. If such technology is not much expensive then we can see good future of converting physical motion into energy.
    Thats true. If its done over large scale, its economically feasible. We still need to wait for advancements in technologies such as MEMs to tap into all these small movements.

Perhaps if we scale it up we can get something decent. For example, add a dynamo at the door frame when you swing the door open (basically tapping the movement of the door). It would be a bit tougher to open it, but its for the sake of the environment right? ๐Ÿ˜›

#-Link-Snipped-#

Have a look at what CEans have discussed regarding generation from footsteps:
    Generation Of Power Through Footsteps: piezoelectric material
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    I think gathering energy in this manner can be used in charging batteries of our daily used gadgets (mobile phones, laptops etc.)
    Think about going for an evening walk just to recharge your smartphone ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    rahul69
    I think gathering energy in this manner can be used in charging batteries of our daily used gadgets (mobile phones, laptops etc.)
    Think about going for an evening walk just to recharge your smartphone ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜.
    It would help our technology addicted life to avoid many health related problems like obesity , and people would stay fit.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    1. Cycling at the sametime charging the phone.
    2. Electric Energy from noise (most ideal location : factories)
    3. Dancing. When a person dances he/she creates pressure on the dance floor, the pressure is good enough to create some small amount of energy.

However all these methods seems tough to setup, I think saving the energy is subliminally one form of producing energy only.So first major steps have to be taken to save energy & using low consumption products & throw off the old gadgets that are consuming huge amount of energy. eg : CRT should be replaced by LED/LCD.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was going through a very nice article on technology. The main point discussed there was, is technology a boon or bane? Some important example that very given were: Nuclear...
Woof woof, and that's it! Your dog is the new Alibaba as far as unlocking doors are concerned, the magical spell being just its usual bark. New pet owner and...
Just found this interesting poll on Times Of India website. See the results - โ€‹ What's your frank opinion about the poll? ๐Ÿ˜
I remember that some days back we CEan were wishing that I would like to see for android phone is the extended battery life (that survives at least more than...
New Century Global Center at China is world's largest standalone building. The specs of the building are quite amazing. The building is 500 meters long and 400 meters wide and...