How To Create GPG Key In Ubuntu ?

Everyone of you might be knowing what's GPG Key, if not then read GnuPrivacyGuardHowto - Community Help Wiki.

There are plenty ways to create GPG keys, some developers even developed application to automatically generate GPG keys. However, I like Bash, so we'll use terminal to create GPG keys :

Steps :
Open Terminal & type :
 gpg --gen-key 
It will give you output, something like :

Now press "1" then press enter.It will select default encryption technique i.e RSA & RSA.

Now it will ask for the bitsize of the RSA key :

Type "2048" & press Enter.
Once you'll press enter, following will be the output :

Press "0" & click on "Enter". It will ask for confirmation, Press "y" & then again "Enter"

Now it will ask for, Email address, Name & comment : Don't forget the entered data. Remember it or jot it down somewhere.

After filling up the details & pressing enter it will look something like this :

PS: I have used fake ids for security concern, you dont do that!

Press "O" for "Okay & then hit on enter.

Now it will ask for passphrase, just type the desired password & don't forget it. Press Enter and something this will pop :

So, you just randomly do some work, like open gedit & randomly type some shit for sometime/ open hard-drive do transfer files & anything like that. In few moment the data will be obtained & the process will stop.
And, the Key will be generated, it will look something like :

i have erased they key for security purpose.
Job's done!

To view your GPG key, In Terminal type :

gpg --list-keys 
👍

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wish you many many happy returns of the day aarthivg Have a rocking year ahead. 🎉
Sony's new Eye (additional $60) uses AR and PS4 controllers to create something really really amazing! Don't take my word for it folks, just check out following video -
That was the best title I could come up with and if you think it can be better; let me know. As we face the shortage of usable energy (say...
I was going through a very nice article on technology. The main point discussed there was, is technology a boon or bane? Some important example that very given were: Nuclear...
Woof woof, and that's it! Your dog is the new Alibaba as far as unlocking doors are concerned, the magical spell being just its usual bark. New pet owner and...