Indian Government planning a web monitoring agency

Indian Government seems to be planning an agency to monitor what's happening on the Indian online media. The agency will make sure that there are no 'negative comments' about the Government and will be empowered to take action against the websites that they found 'objectionable'.

Earlier, the Indian Government took steps to remove objectionable content from the Internet and asked leading web properties like Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo and Microsoft to remove the 'objectionable' content. Google demonstrated in the courts that it's almost impossible to do so and took a stance that it only acts as a 'mirror' and only 'directs' the users to the relevant web pages; it does not own the content and cannot be hold responsible for pointing people to objectionable content.

What do our CEans think about the direction in which Indian Government is going? Are we leading towards the 'emergency' rule; because even the media is being banned?

Replies

• optimystix@
    optimystix@
    Yup it's little bit great but it also controls the freedom on web it's like shutting of mouths against all happening issues like corruption n all ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜”
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    freedom of expression will be curtailed if the board is really made of idiots
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Can even opinions(about the government) become "Objectionable"?. Then what's the meaning of "Freedom of speech"? God, I hope "Anonymous" helps us out.!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    hope the freedom here is not curtailed atleast

I know Biggie is against this but Some times the setup comes under government rules
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vinod1993
    Can even opinions(about the government) become "Objectionable"?. Then what's the meaning of "Freedom of speech"? God, I hope "Anonymous" helps us out.!
    Apparently. I had received a 'take down' notice from one of the Indian Government Minister's lawyer for some content posted on a hobby site that I was building.

The Government absolutely wants to control what people say online. I agree that the media and social websites need to keep control of what they say; but being critical about Government is an ESSENTIAL part of the media business.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜” sad to see in a large democracy like INDIA
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    Apparently. I had received a 'take down' notice from one of the Indian Government Minister's lawyer for some content posted on a hobby site that I was building.
    What was your reply to that?
    Take that for granted that the same would be the reply from common man.

Moving towards emergency; too early to say that. Still hoping that with a new government we may see some reformers.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    At first I decided to make an official reply; but then figured out that it made more sense to remove the objectionable content; because on second inspection, I thought it wasn't in good taste. I've abandoned the site since then; but continue to hold the domain. Hopefully will launch it back once CE gets on the fast track that we want it to be on.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Truth will be known sooner or later, you cant hide it! You have to ban bad people but not writing truth (which is bad) about bad people.

It sounds really silly to see all these kinds of news, everyone knows how our country is moving. As Biggie said, yes few months down the line it will be an emergency.

someone will say, hey ES you are under arrest you have posted something wrong about a ward member!
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I am still not getting few things that happen in India.Where are the priorities?
    Is removing web content a priority in front of rising corruption,price hikes,bomb attacks,riots,naxalites?

Read this, #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    In our countries the thing which are to be prioritised are driven under the carpet
    very sad of it ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I thought we had freedom of speech but now they tryna control the way we speak. Great! :\

Off-topic here,though I will mention that, Our PM is thinking about allowing Walmart to establish in India. means, RIP farmers & local stores.
    Walmart = New east India Co.

Manmohan, you screwed our India, you chucking puppet of Sonia. *Nerd-rage*

Now censor my post, you govt. bitches !!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I find this strange But even i feel like that pal #-Link-Snipped-#

100% with you in this
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Walmart is openly welcomed in India when it still faces accusation in US. A total shame.! As #-Link-Snipped-# told somewhere, India's being sold "again". Perhaps it's already been sold.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well all previous posts encourage goverment to take such a stance,most of the contents on social networking sites against goverment are abusive than constructive.This agression serves as an indicator but when actual time comes all have cold feet.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

MindTree company when coming to hire students from campus, goes through a selection procedure where aptitude paper test is the first round. In MindTree aptitude test paper, logical reasoning is...
I can't understand what it exactly means. Please explain it properly if possible.
I want to see this post here soon why is it still taking so long to show up
If you are looking for steps to cut any regular SIM card to nano SIM card for the upcoming iPhone 5, you're looking at the right page. Before I write...
General Atomics, San Diego, California is aiming to turn nuclear power on its head. Running turbines running on Helium at 865 C, double the light water reactors now in use,...