‘iKnife’ By London's Imperial College Could Lead To Faster Tumour Removal Surgeries

For a life threatening disease like cancer precision and speed could mean the difference between life and death. In a regular tumour removal surgery like lumpectomy, patients have to spend a long time in the operating room during the surgery as the tissues being removed during the surgery have to be sent to the laboratory for analysis and it’s only after half an hour that the results are obtained for the surgeons to decide the course of the operation. Even after a lengthy surgery the ordeal is not over for about one-fifth of the patients who have to go back for another surgery to remove any cancerous tissue that might have been missed during the surgery. To get rid of these troubles, researchers at London's Imperial College have come up with the ‘iKnife’.

iKnife

This electrosurgical knife cuts through the tissue using heat and analyses the smoke generated by the cut tissue with its in-built spectrometer to decide whether the tissue is cancerous or not within just three seconds. By this quick feedback researchers have predicted that operation could be reduced by thirty minutes and cut down on follow-up surgeries which could mean huge savings not just in terms of money but also time and not to mention the relief that the patients receive knowing that they do not have to go through another surgery. Zoltan Takats, the inventor of this device is now currently conducting clinical trials involving about 1,500 cancer patients and hopes to obtain regulatory approval within two to three years.

To continue with this news we suggest you head over #-Link-Snipped-# website.

Source and Image Courtesy: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to build my own application that will make it possible to send and receive files directly between computers on a LAN, but i don't know where to start...
Reliance Digital Sucks!​ Wrong corporate practices, the worst consumer support and service and the most pathetic brand you can ever imagine to buy even a single product is Reliance Digital....
Queries and drawbacks about the laptop that you bought recently (Couple of months ago) Max 6 months. 1.Brand (Mac, Sony, Dell, .etc) : 2.Spec (i3, i5, i7, .etc) : (Win...
Some people while traveling by an plane Find it difficult to cope up with the change in pressure inside the chamber In this scenario the effect of traveling at 1000mph...
What happened to the small talk segment. We find that there has not been any inclusion in it for a really long time When is the next small talk on...