IISc Bangalore & IIT Bombay Engineers Make Jet Engines Quieter

The engineers at the Indian Institute Of Science at Bangalore and IIT Bombay have helped Rolls Royce develop a low-noise technology that helps the jet engines operate at lower noise levels. The technology is expected to make it to the long haul planes like Boeing 747s & Dreamliners. The team that worked on this technology is led by U Ramamurthy from the department of materials engineering. The research on the development of low noise technology began back in 2006 in collaboration with Rolls Royce.

quiter-jet-engine
Image Credit: wired.com​

The new technology aims at bringing down the noise levels during the landing and take-off. A chamber inside the engine is fitted with silencer vanes which are operational during the landing and take-off times. These vanes help reducing the noise that engines make. Ramamurthy says that the vances are capable of operating at temperatures of 200 degree Celsius and higher.

The technology will help make quieter landings during the night-times at airports which are nearer to the cities.

We at CrazyEngineers are pleased to see some innovation coming out of Indian institutes. We hope to see more such innovations in future and wish the team all the best for their future work.

Via: IISc, IIT-B make jet engines quieter | India News - Times of India

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The research on the development of low noise technology began back in 2006 in collaboration with Rolls Royce.
    Alright, so wasted 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13 : 8 years in developing a technology which won't be even used in our organizations ? Cool.
    No disrespect But we gotta learn that it's time to do for 'our' companies & 'our' organizations now.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    please explain more on the vanes used in Rolls Royce.How can we use same vanes along the cylinder liners?
    Is this arrangement also helpful cooling ?
    if possible upload picture for rolls royce

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Leaks are becoming so common that one day,the term 'release' will be replaced by 'leaks'. Nope, I ain't kidding. Recently, the leaked image of most anticipated Acer's tablet is plagued...
HI guyz...my C-CAT rank is 81. please suggest me the best institute i must go and also tell me about the placements and pg's near CDAC pune and banglore. please...
Can someone tell me which is the toughest subject in mechanical engineering and what are the subjects are are considered difficult?
Hey, I'm a Second year student in IT. I'm looking for some competitions in java/c++ wherein I can put to test my skills...Preferably competitions where group projects are required...
please specify me which course is best from today point of view in cdac. specify which institute or training center is best for that particular course. i have given cdac...