Hybrid Railway Engines

Guys this is new to me in many areas But I am sure you guys can help me out in understanding all these concepts

In case of Hybrid Engines there are two fuels used in the engine one is Diesel and the other fuel is Electric power fed directly from the traction lines.

But as I was talking to some Mechanical experts they said
Unless you have seperate isolation circuits which can permit us to completely seperate the engine from diesel power and electric power source. This hybrid engine will not work effectively
He also said Something like coupling has to be used. This coupling must switch between Electric power and Diesel power. Can you explain Why we must use such coupling? And what will happen if simulataneously both the power sources are used? But some countries are using the hybrid engines how do they bring about this change?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    As far as I know Diesel Locos also run on electricity. The diesel engine is coupled to a generator whose output drives the electric motors.
    However, to reduce line transmission losses electric locos use high voltage motors to reduce current. Diesel generators are on board. Hence the motors can be of lower voltage.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sir yeah I know That Engines generates electric power for driving the trains

But I am of question can both direct electric power from traction lines and Diesel power can be used in the same engine

Is this mechanism possible in a single engine? That is what puzzles me a lot.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If the voltage is the same or if there is a suitable voltage conditioner on board then there should be no problem

Here is some info on a different kind of hybrid locomotives:
    Hybrid Train
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Evolution Of Google Nexus. Courtesy : Gadgetlove.com
I see that our site is now showing the latest Facebook Recommend button. The new button has adopted a Navy Blue color and I think people are clicking on it...
The screenagers are getting ready for the 4K world and the latest advancement in displays comes from Japanese SEL (Semiconductor Energy Laboratory). SEL demonstrated flexible 4K OLED displays with high...
A small-scale business based in Arizona, The Paragon Space Development Corporation, has employed existing technology in the development of a helium balloon that'll almost fly you to the edge of...
XOLO, the Indian smartphone manufacturer has launched a new Android smartphone called the XOLO A600. Now on XOLO's official website, the A600 is the recent entry in the mid-budget mobile...