How To Create Logic level Converter ?

If you have ever tried to connect a 3.3V device to 5V system, you know how much mindfudge it can be.

So, now I am thinking of creating a logic level converter which steps down from 5.0V to 3.3V & Steps up to 3.3V to 5.0V easily.
I wanna know : HOW ?
(No, I don't wanna buy readymade LLC from Sparkfun, so please don't suggest that)

Just help me by giving me good detailed Circuit diagram & I will take care of PCB-Layout & rest of the stuffs.

Thanks, In advance.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    :BUMP:
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Best option is to use level shifter IC. For example SN74LVC245A from Texas Instruments.

BTW which tool you are using for PCB designing?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Eagle & sometimes gplEDA.

#-Link-Snipped-# Can you enlighten me more about Level shifting ?

-Edited the post & tagging Godfather, so he can help me out-
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    Eagle & sometimes gplEDA.

#-Link-Snipped-# Can you enlighten me more about Level shifting ?

-Edited the post & tagging Godfather, so he can help me out-
    Will you please tell me what exactly you want to know about level shifting?
    You can also use simple resistor-divider network to interface 3.3V device with 5V device.
    Here is one Example:-
    [​IMG]
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I just want to make logic level converter from 5 to 3.3 & 3.3 to 5 dual-way,On my own.
    I wanna use it to control arduino based robot with ps2 controllers as they need 3.3V
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    I just want to make logic level converter from 5 to 3.3 & 3.3 to 5 dual-way,On my own.
    I wanna use it to control arduino based robot with ps2 controllers as they need 3.3V
    Well, I understand that you want to make level converter in dual way but are you sure that pin you are using is configured either in INPUT or in OUTPUT mode.

If you are using your arduino pin as output it will swing between ground and 3.3v and I think device you are connecting will consider 3.3V as HIGH logic only.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    Well, I understand that you want to make level converter in dual way but are you sure that pin you are using is configured either in INPUT or in OUTPUT mode.

If you are using your arduino pin as output it will swing between ground and 3.3v and I think device you are connecting will consider 3.3V as HIGH logic only.
    Imma check on this & get back to you, ASAP !
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    i think MAX232 or ST232 level converter ic may help us to convert the 3.3v signal to 5v or vice-verse.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    arunchary
    i think MAX232 or ST232 level converter ic may help us to convert the 3.3v signal to 5v or vice-verse.
    #-Link-Snipped-# No !
    MAX232 and ST232 are used to convert voltage level between RS232 and TTL. RS232 logic level swings between -15V to +15V so you can not use the same for 3.3V-5V level converter.

I haven't come to know about any bidirectional level converter. Level converter are mostly unidirectional.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    Ok ,i got the point, so FET can do this conversion and also the ic called 74Lxx245
    here is the circuit of FET
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    arunchary
    Ok ,i got the point, so FET can do this conversion and also the ic called 74Lxx245
    here is the circuit of FET
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Please move this file to your public folder and share it's link. Above link asks for user-id and password.
  • arunchary
    arunchary

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey! First -> @KaustubhKatdare (@TheBigK) - Thank you so much for creating this experience,it's an amazing platform,it's a PRIVILEGE to be here.I am HAPPY to have discovered this through the...
why slip ring motors are being replaced by drives for industrial purposes?
Hello Friends, I am using Terminal and Hercules terminal utility. Please suggest if there is any good terminal utility other than these. Regards, Harshad Italiya
Compared to single stage evaporative coolers, two stage coolers are more efficient, but the added stage takes up considerable space and is costly to manufacture. For this reason, two stage...
I recently learnt that the best color to make an umbrella for use inn summers is to have white surface on the top and the bottom surface painted black. What...