Best color for summer umbrella

I recently learnt that the best color to make an umbrella for use inn summers is to have white surface on the top and the bottom surface painted black.

What could be the scientific reason for it? Of course it concerns itself with the degree of absorption and emission but the exact reason is something I am struggling for.

Please guide me.

regards,
proffy

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    proffy
    I recently learnt that the best color to make an umbrella for use inn summers is to have white surface on the top and the bottom surface painted black.

What could be the scientific reason for it? Of course it concerns itself with the degree of absorption and emission but the exact reason is something I am struggling for.

Please guide me.

regards,
    proffy
    Do you really think that this thread should be posted in Electronics / Electrical & Communications section? Moving it to chit chat.
  • lal
    lal
    White colour reflects most incident rays including IR falling on it. If it was black on the top, it would absorb radiations incident on it and get hotter. That will make the person under a black umbrella sweat more!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    This is elementary science.

Black color absorbs more heat & white color reflects more IR Radiations so absorbs less amount of heat than other colors.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Actually the thermal mass of the very thin fabric used makes this somewhat irrelevant. In Kerala one does get brollies with white fabric on top with black below. From emissivity point of view the best is an aluminized film.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This may be of use:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, How to reduce heat in laptop. is there any product available for reduce heat in laptop.
guys, i want to read magazines based on microprocessors and embedded systems.could anyone suggest any magazines????????
Lava's Iris series just got updated with the arrival of IRIS 504q smartphone. Indians had got quite excited after Lava floated the teaser 'Touch Phone Minus The Touch' and there...
My brother in law is virtually a Punaikar having worked there for four decades. He is back in Bangalore post retirement. He went to Pune recently and brought back Chitale...
CEans, Today is a grand day today for each one of us at CrazyEngineers and we thank everyone who's a part of CrazyEngineers ecosystem. Without your continuous support, love &...