CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@pratap singh, upendra • 16 Jun, 2013
I recently learnt that the best color to make an umbrella for use inn summers is to have white surface on the top and the bottom surface painted black.

What could be the scientific reason for it? Of course it concerns itself with the degree of absorption and emission but the exact reason is something I am struggling for.

Please guide me.

regards,
proffy
@Kaustubh Katdare • 16 Jun, 2013
proffy
I recently learnt that the best color to make an umbrella for use inn summers is to have white surface on the top and the bottom surface painted black.

What could be the scientific reason for it? Of course it concerns itself with the degree of absorption and emission but the exact reason is something I am struggling for.

Please guide me.

regards,
proffy
Do you really think that this thread should be posted in Electronics / Electrical & Communications section? Moving it to chit chat.
@lal • 16 Jun, 2013 White colour reflects most incident rays including IR falling on it. If it was black on the top, it would absorb radiations incident on it and get hotter. That will make the person under a black umbrella sweat more!
@Abhishek Rawal • 16 Jun, 2013 This is elementary science.

Black color absorbs more heat & white color reflects more IR Radiations so absorbs less amount of heat than other colors.
@Ramani Aswath • 16 Jun, 2013 Actually the thermal mass of the very thin fabric used makes this somewhat irrelevant. In Kerala one does get brollies with white fabric on top with black below. From emissivity point of view the best is an aluminized film.
6.4k views

Related Posts

@varun tiwari · Aug 9, 2012

my c-cat result is sect A-1093 sect A+B-2071 sect A+B+C-625 DAC-1409 more than me DVLSI-280 '' DESD-531 Wimc-670 Pref order- 1.DESD-hyd 2.desd-pune,3 dvlsi-pune,4 desd-banglore,5 DWimc-pune,6 dac-pune,7 dac-hyd,8 DWimc-banglore i have...
5k views

@Ankita Katdare · Dec 17, 2015

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is gearing up for the launch of its next two ambitious missions - 'Chandrayaan 2' which is slated to land on moon by 2017...
3.4k views

@Aashish Joshi · Dec 21, 2015

Hi, I sometimes work (sort, filter, create pivot tables, etc) with CSV files that have a few million rows. Since Excel & Open office don't support more than 1048576 rows...
5.6k views

@Ankita Katdare · Jul 24, 2014

Those who have started working for an IT company in India the recent past must know about the NASSCOM initiative known as - nationalskillregistry.com Most engineering colleges would ask students...
16.2k views

@Debasmita Banerjee · Nov 20, 2017

Many times these type of self-evaluating questions become problematic in an interview and you almost lose your nerve in thinking what you will say that would make them feel you...
4.4k views