How does loopback address work?

I want to know how the loopback address is actually implemented? That is, when we use loopback address (127.0.0.1), does a software runs which virtually mimics the network, or the packet actually goes into the network, and if it does, how does it returns back to the sender?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It is theoretically said that, loopback address is connected to "Loopback Interface" which is a virtual Network device, so it's not possible of transmission of packets.
    No packets or data bytes goes out of your system, it is bounded to your system.

As far I know, Loopback interface (lo) is usually used to test client-server application in which both client & server are running on same machine.
    Loopback Interface Network Device due to loopback address shows "always connected" thus testing is possible.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    A typical example where loopback IP is used is - to test the TCP IP stack in a specific machine.
    Aka, when you ping an IP address, x.y.z.a , you are trying to reach the IP over a specific set of network.
    When you are trying to access 127.0.0.1, you are just trying to access the local machine, Also its not a physical NIC card or an interface.
    As per primitive internet standards (classfull addressing )Packets destined to 127.0.0.1 are not supposed to leave a specific network and is specifically reserved for localhost purposes

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let me make it short, I dropped my Android in water & spontaneously I picked it up from it & opened it up. I am unable to open entire as...
Samsung has announced the Samsung Galaxy S4 and everyone is curious to know how it stands in comparison with Samsung Galaxy S3. Here's a specs comparison chart that will give...
I'm curious to know whether email notification when someone tags you is working properly. We recently made changes to the site and we need to verify whether email alert on...
Many companies ask to freshers for bond before joining their company. If anyone breaks his bond then company will not pay any experience/releaving certificate then how can he join another...
Hi Ceans... GATE 2013 are out today. Please share your result who took the exam this year..