How do i calculate the torque

I am making a project where i use a DC motor to move a load of 100kg fitted over 2 wheels one front and other rear. The DC motor will be fitted to the hub of the rear wheel and the wheel diameter is 21 inches. If I have to move the load horizontally at a speed of 60km/hr then what will be the minimum torque required?
The DC motor will be selected based on the torque hence I cannot give you the RPM and Power now.

Is it possible to calculate the torque based on these data

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    yes it is .

use the formulae:

torque= total load * wheel radius

total load= the load to be carried + the self weight of wheels +self weight of motor +self weight of other vehicle components.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    vineethkumar1987
    I am making a project where i use a DC motor to move a load of 100kg fitted over 2 wheels one front and other rear. The DC motor will be fitted to the hub of the rear wheel and the wheel diameter is 21 inches. If I have to move the load horizontally at a speed of 60km/hr then what will be the minimum torque required?
    The DC motor will be selected based on the torque hence I cannot give you the RPM and Power now.

Is it possible to calculate the torque based on these data
    There are two very different issues here. The torque reuied to hold a steady speed horizontally is only friction dependent. Theoretically, in the absence of friction and wind resistance, no torque is required because of inertia.
    e.g. A satellite does not require any force to keep it in orbit. It is moving in a horizontal path at constant velocity.
    However, the torque required to attain that speed from a state of rest in a given time is quite different.
  • vineethkumar1987
    vineethkumar1987
    #-Link-Snipped-#: doesnt the load split up on 2 wheels so dont I have to half the weight while multiplying with the wheel radius.

#-Link-Snipped-#: Sir cam you please tell me atleast what will be the power of the DC motor that I will have to use here??
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    vineethkumar1987
    #-Link-Snipped-#: doesnt the load split up on 2 wheels so dont I have to half the weight while multiplying with the wheel radius.

#-Link-Snipped-#: Sir cam you please tell me atleast what will be the power of the DC motor that I will have to use here??
    The load does split up. However, this will not be equal.Since the person is sitting virtually over the rear wheel bulk of the load will be on this. For design it will be best to assume all the weight is on the rear wheel. Friction coefficient and other info can be got from calculators here:
    Tire friction and rolling coefficients
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

why don't you make a rough sketch of your design and post it here, it will make discussions very easy.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

​ It has often been a problem is many smartphones regarding the weak GPS signal reception. Garmin comes up with a new gadget to empower the GPS signals via their...
I've been wondering how much would be the overall cost of producing 1 liter of petrol. I've no clue what kind of processing is done on raw oil extracted from...
The more I learn about the topic of 'money' the more I get convinced that 'Money' system is a 'fraud' by crooks. So just thought of collecting views on this...
Just stumbled upon Taxation in Switzerland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Switzerland . It's quite amazing that Swiss people don't pay so many taxes. That makes me wonder - if Switzerland can survive without collecting...
i m doing B Tech I.T.in walchand college of engg.,sangli in third year.