Help me choose a soldering iron.

Hi all,

I want a soldering iron for executing my electronics hobby projects. I will basically need to solder components on to Veroboards or General purpose PCBs. A friend has told me, Soldron is the best I can get in India for as low as Rs. 150, definitely not the temperature control ones. What about Hakko? My budget is around Rs. 300. It's flexible though, if I get a really good bargain.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You can probably get any cheap soldering gun, as long as the wattage is not too high and that the soldering point is thin enough for general electronic components. But regardless of that, Hakko is a very reliable brand.

I got a temperature controlled one from CTBrand, for about only $20. Works great, especially when soldering tiny or heat sensitive components. The cheaper soldering guns usually damage these components.

In addition, if you plan to solder SM components, get a separate precision soldering gun.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    I have zeroed in on the GOOT KS/KX 30watt or the HAKKO model 501G.

Any comments on these ASH?
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Im getting the GOOT for rs430 ($8.89) and the Hakko for rs 310 ($6.41). is it aa good bargain. Shipping is free.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Either should be fine ๐Ÿ˜€

Though, I suggest you also find the "pistol" looking type of soldering gun that has 30W normal operation and a 130W "boost" option when you hold on the trigger. It'll help if you want to quickly heat the tip up from a cold start or quickly melt some solder.

Check here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Be sure to order a solder sucker (officially called desoldering pumps) as well.
  • docel
    docel
    The GOOT is the best iron, even if it is more expensive. its metallised tip is quite 'Life time' and the quality is excellent.

Hakko is good too, but then its like the Taj vs the Ritz...... ๐Ÿ˜‰

GOOTs are available in India and comes with a standard needle tip.
  • Muffy
    Muffy
    Hi
    I have the Goot KS-40R.. Heats up quite quickly,and has excellent tip life,but the needle tip makes it a hard to solder, as the heat transfer is slower than that of a chisel . I invariably end up using the 25W Soldron for sensitive components and 35W Soldron for general purpose soldering. If you go for soldron then try to get the aluminum coated tips, they last much longer than the tin coated ones.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Thanks a lot guys...I think I will go for the GOOT KS 30R for the time being. And also keep a Soldron 25W handy for sensitive components.

@Ash: Isn't a soldering gun quite clunky and difficult to handle? I have only ever used it once and wasn't satisfied. Possibly because I'm not an expert in soldering.

One thing I'd like to know about soldering guns is whether the high power trigger is only to give the iron a faster initial heating or does it have any other purpose. 130W will fry anything that looks like an IC.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Personally, for extended stable soldering periods, the "gun" version is more comfortable to hold. Precision wise, they are probably the same.. depends on the solder tip and technique I guess.

The high power does assist with quick desoldering as well, if used properly. Other than that, I'm not sure of its use. One could probably find something to use it for.. maybe melting something ๐Ÿ˜‰

Regarding ICs, do remember to use sockets! Never directly solder an IC on the board, unless you are surface mounting the components.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Thanks for the useful little tip. Ash. I think Il go for the regular 30W Hakko or Goot soldeirng iron.

Soldron doesnt have a 25W soldering iron with a aluminium coated tip. Looks like Il have to get an extra set of bits.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Please suggest a book which is easy to understand for visual c++ programming. Thanks..
It is surprised to see, in our college, somebody is deleting control panel from the systems. Now we are not able to change any of our system properties. Sirs are...
dear CEns. how to make our program into software.that is if we write a program in a general purpose language(like c, java) for an application,which is compiled and we have...
๐Ÿ˜•...plz help me,.... how to process folder in c...?
hi to all electrical engineers............ well would you please suggest me some minor projects dat are affordable and somehow unique....plz mention it in this thread .... i hope i'll get...