Graphene Aerogel Is The World's Lightest Material

Graphene Aerogel is the new world's lightest material created by research team headed by Prof. Gao Chao at Department of Polymer Science and Engineering in China's Zhejiang University. The new material has density of 0.16 mg/cm3. The earlier record was held by aerographite with density of 0.16 mg/cm3. The team used their extensive experience in developing one-dimensional graphene fibers and two dimensional films. Gao and his team added a third dimension to create a popous material from graphene. For the sake of comparison, the new graphene aerogel has density lower than helium, about 2x that of hydrogen.

slide

The team even used a new type of method called 'freeze-drying' to create graphene sponge which can adjust to any shape. The material is not only the lightest, but very elastic and can absorb 900x its own weight in oil. The team proposes that the material can be used to mop up oil spills in the sea.

Check out more information on following links -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Any info about its stiffness? If it's high enough, we could make structural shapes out of it and use them in aeroplanes and ICBMs.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gurjap
    Any info about its stiffness? If it's high enough, we could make structural shapes out of it and use them in aeroplanes and ICBMs.
    Nope, it's actually elastic! I doubt it can be used to make structural shapes. This would mostly be used in industrial applications for soaking up oil and liquid stuff, I'd believe.

The material is not only the lightest, but very elastic and can absorb 900x its own weight in oil.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Well, then maybe if its reactivity is low, chem people can use it to design new, compact packed bed reactors. I wonder if it absorbs hydrogen well..... If it does, we have a potential solution to our hydrogen storage problem.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bioengineering professor Wentai Liu has developed a bionic eye that uses some sophisticated electronics to fix the retina related problems which may help the blind. The bionic eye is called...
I'm wondering how does indoor GPS work? I'm reading the news that Apple has taken over the control of WiFiSLAM - a startup that offered GPS inside the buildings using...
Here's an interesting debate for everyone who's interested in entrepreneurship, startups and have been following the Indian startups scene. Do you think all the moderately and highly successful companies in...
the following table gives you the length of steel bars in ft. per hollow block installed at specified distances of ver. and hor. bars. The values in the table includes...
CEans, I'm excited to inform you that we've a new section on CE dedicated to all the events happening in the engineering / technology space all over the world. This...