Do you think Indian startups are just imitating companies in Silicon Valley?

Here's an interesting debate for everyone who's interested in entrepreneurship, startups and have been following the Indian startups scene. Do you think all the moderately and highly successful companies in India have just imitated the successful companies in the silicon valley? Of course while we are generalising, there are exceptions but that's not the focus of this discussion.

Think flipkart: They even copy the layout from Amazon. It helps users, so it's all good.
Think snapdeal: They're India's groupon (maybe?).
Think zomato: They're Indian version of Yelp?

What do you think?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Would tag #-Link-Snipped-#, he seems to be online after a really long time 😀
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Put yourself in the shoes of an individual who wants to be an entrepreneur. You want to start your own firm ... however you do not know which problem to solve. That idea which you are waiting for while you are working in that big MNC ... it never strikes you.

What do you do ... you look at already existing proven business models which are at work in other geographies (almost like a third-degree arbitrage).

Who has said that to start a company you have to have an original idea? If you are able to make a successful business ... it really does not matter ... Mark Zuckerberg has proved that with Facebook ... the idea does not matter as much as the execution.

Whereas copying the layout is concerned ... I would say even that is acceptable ... since you are borrowing on the research and efforts of the market leader. Imitation is the best form of flattery :-D (I know I'll be flamed for saying this!)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

the following table gives you the length of steel bars in ft. per hollow block installed at specified distances of ver. and hor. bars. The values in the table includes...
CEans, I'm excited to inform you that we've a new section on CE dedicated to all the events happening in the engineering / technology space all over the world. This...
EPFL Scientists alongwith a group of scientists developed a minute electronic device(a Tiny Blood testing Lab) which is capable of monitoring the blood's data & transmit the recorded data wirelessly....
Biofest 2013 has been organised by IIT Madras. The will comprise of several events listed below - BioBiz- Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people...
Scientists have often mentioned Graphene as super-power semiconductor for upcoming electronics technology, whether it is CPU,Memory or whatever. Use of Graphene is not done except from testing purpose as more...