Google's Search Is Limited To Finding Text. What About Video & Audio?

Google's a clear leader in the search engine world, but I was thinking that it's capabilities are still at a baby stage. So far, Google's done a good job of searching the relevant text from its huge database; but text is just a small fraction of the total content available on the Internet. Google simply cannot search the content available in the form of audio and video! If we go by the saying an image is worth thousand words; then just imagine the size of information available in the world in the form of audio and video that the search engines need to be able to find!

I think even if engineers figure out a way to discover what's embedded in the audio and video files; it won't be much useful; because the computers still suck at associating anything with the context & the history (in several cases).

When I think about it - and the computing power required by modern search engines; making sense of things will require at least 1000x the power we currently need. Given how the data centers have a negative impact on the environment; the future of computing looks very limited to me.

What do you think about audio & video search? Will Google or other search engines be able to figure out everything? Where do you think is the computing headed?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    From my point of view Google has done a great job in terms of search engine type.Yes google want to improve the areas of audio and video.Its results were more restricted to youtube.What about the remaining websites where people share videos?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Google image search ๐Ÿ‘
    Google introduced earlier a product #-Link-Snipped-# which is still there for songs currently limited to to US songs.

And if compare Search Filters. Other search engines Bing and yahoo are like total $hit very few options.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well I am not talking about searching YouTube videos. But rather video search that would find out information in a lecture delivered by a professor.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Now I get your point that is to get info fro in the middle of the video

Is there any website capable to do it No

If the uploader doesn't give sufficient abstract about the video I am not sure whether the website will be in a position to recognise it and utilise it for better search results

This can be overcome only if the website is more intelligent than a few lines of Code
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well I am not talking about searching YouTube videos. But rather video search that would find out information in a lecture delivered by a professor.
    looks like it's in pipeline..
    If you go to youtube video, you can enable subtitle from toolbar (enable captions) even if there is no subtitle. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ianoop
    looks like it's in pipeline..
    If you go to youtube video, you can enable subtitle from toolbar (enable captions) even if there is no subtitle. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Subtitles are good - but again; they're limited to English language and can only extract the 'speech'. What about content in a silent video? What about the contents of an image? Google can search 'similar' image; but it still can't tell you what exactly is in any image.

I think the algorithms are still at a very nascent stage.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Google can search 'similar' image; but it still can't tell you what exactly is in any image.

Text from image search is available for personal Google product only.
    If you have any image stored in Google drive then if you search by text content in image you can search for it.
    Looks like it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello sir, First of all, i would thank u for doing such a good work. kudos.!! ๐Ÿ˜€ I got 59 rank in PG DAC. I want to know that which...
Best USB Data Recovery Sofware
Hi I am very interested to know about cdac sunbeam pune and electronic city, which one would be better from placement and staff (kwnoledge) point of view ?? kindly give...
Well I heard from a staff in big corporate giant, that cos of his absence from work His company loses about Rs 10K/ day. When I asked him about his...
We know that money is not something that falls from heaven. We can print it whenever we want. Then why government doesn't prints it ? Okay I might sound dumb-ass,...