Give girls the E D G E

EDGE - Educating Girls for Engineering seems to be an interesting exercise that may restore gender imbalance in the field of engineering.

Read more here:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Is this a useful thing for India and other countries as well?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not sure what EDGE. Let's just stop talking about gender imbalance in engineering and things will be fine (IMHO). The more we talk about gender imbalance, the longer it will take it to leave our brains.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes Ramni Sir is correct.
    There is a imbalance in many engineering fields.Following are the streams I find girls miss their input.
    #automobile
    #mechanical
    #marine
    #aeronautical. In India.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let's just stop talking about gender imbalance in engineering and things will be fine (IMHO)
    You believe this issue will fix itself? 😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    You believe this issue will fix itself? 😛
    Yes. My belief is that continuing 'special' programs for girls would basically mean they'll continue to be treated as 'outsiders' to engineering. Just stop any damn kind of program that is 'exclusive' to any gender. It won't take more than a decade for the things to get back on track.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes. My belief is that continuing 'special' programs for girls would basically mean they'll continue to be treated as 'outsiders' to engineering. Just stop any damn kind of program that is 'exclusive' to any gender. It won't take more than a decade for the things to get back on track.
    I see. Would this apply to other aspects such as politics and businesses as well, or just limited to engineering?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the approach would work for everything: Just talk about discrimination, special programs and let people have equal opportunity. I'm not sure if it's the right approach, but how long are we going to keep talking about 'special program', 'special status'? The quota system we have here in India is epic example of how things fail. The 'reservations' based on cast systems were meant for a period of only 10 years, but it's been several decades and the system's still going strong.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Necessity leads to CEan solutions
Micromax, the Indian mobile maker has officially announced 'Canvas 4' - the phone it's been teasing us with for long time now. The company's seems to be quite series about...
I want some idea about project what i have looked for is video stenography my programming is not that much good.Can anyone give any idea about it is it a...
The name is 'GRE Words Eliminator'. I just thought of this project idea that could be really interesting. Many times, we come across a nice article that's written in heavy-English;...
It's nothing new that, with every passing months we see new technology related to the Mobile screens is emerging.When it comes to the innovation in the screen technologies, Corning Gorilla...