generating eletricity

I recently saw a program in nat geo and those guys were producing eletricty from magnets. they took a magenet attached it to a box so that the magnet can rotate freely. wound copper wire around it and by rotating the magnet eletricity was produced and point here is can it be done in large scales. and if suppose 12 volts of eletricity is produced then can we convert it to a 220v using a transformer? and what is the problem faced in current in this process?

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    well we can convert it but losses are more
    i think current will be reduced
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    how can current produced?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    as per in the other transformers
    see here i think it is same as converting 11kv to 440kv at generating station but here we are dealing with low voltages so losses will be higher
  • freak16
    freak16
    Generating voltage at 12 volt is fine but we should know the current also.Because it the power requirement st receiving end which needs to meet with rated voltage and frequency.
    Ist take care of frequency .
    Yeah it can be converted to 220 v with transformer but amount of current reduced it means load can be driven will be small as power transfer is constant in transformer if assumed transformer to be ideal.
    Also losses will be very high if tranmission is done at 220 v .
    AS nm said.
    current will produc if you complete the path of the wire in which voltage is produced.
    @vinod it is the same concept of faradays law if there is a flux change then voltage will be induced in the conductor.. it is not a new thing..
    Plz redress meif i am wrong.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    ya its not a new concept well......
    i need to confirm one thing here
    see for example if we convert 11kv to 420kv suppose losses are 100v it may be not considerable
    but when we do it for less voltages i.e...., 12v to 220v suppose losses are 10v or even 1v is considerable so it is not fine to convert lower voltages to step up
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    thanks guys

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

India Against Corruption Had the Rs. 176,700 crores not been squandered in the 2G Scam, our country would now have enough revenue to wipe out half the fiscal deficit of...
Unconditionally and irrevocably i fall in love with CE. NO Exudes.. ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Hello everyone, I'm Harisuddin and currently lived in Malaysia. Finished my study in Mechanical Engineering. I'm 23 years old. Just starting my career as Maintenance Engineer. Absolutely new in engineering...
How to connect an RFID reader to a computer(database) through wireless(RF communication)? I have a project and i need to learn how to connect an RFID reader to a (database)computer...
how much power has to be delivered for pushing the piston of an i.c engine of 150 cc??? and suggest any material whic has got low thermal conductivity and can...