Fragmentation of disks.

what is this fragmentation of disks? and i have started this in my laptop and it is taking hours together for fragmenting a single disk for e.g. for fragmenting c drive it took 12 hrs. and it has not defragmented D,E,F drives.I'm afraid is there anything wrong with my laptop?😒

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    savitha_chandu
    what is this fragmentation of disks? and i have started this in my laptop and it is taking hours together for fragmenting a single disk for e.g. for fragmenting c drive it took 12 hrs. and it has not defragmented D,E,F drives.I'm afraid is there anything wrong with my laptop?😒
    Files in the file system are supposed to be laid in a contiguous fashion. But because we use the file system regularly, the files get fragmented, meaning they are no more in sequential fashion. This makes the file system slower.

To arrange the file system in sequential manner, we use a defragmenter to defragment.

C: drive is the system partition in most computers and thats why it has huge number of files. And defragmenting such a huge number of files takes time. So there's nothing wrong with your computer.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    In simple steps:-

1:- Adding and deleting files from your hard disk is a common task.
    2:- But this process is not always done very efficiently. For example, when you delete a bunch of little files and add a new large file, the file may get broken up into mulitple sections on the hard disk.
    3:-The computer will still read the newly added file as a single valid file, but the drive will have to scan multiple parts of the disk to read it.
    4:-this can drag down your computer's speed quite a bit. If you have a ton of "fragmented" files on your hard disk, you might hear sputtering, and other weird noises coming from your computer.
    so you perform defragmantation ...it is already available feature in xp..
  • gurpreetm13
    gurpreetm13
    Although there is nothing wrong with your laptop..i would suggest ,you defrag your disk with autologics disk defragger..It is much faster than windows defragger..
  • Piere
    Piere
    savitha_chandu
    How long it takes to complete a defrag will depend on the level of fragmentation on your drive, how much free space you have and what defragger you use. If you use the Windows defragger on a severely fragmented drive, its bound to take long. Try running a diskcleanup first.
    If you dont mind opting for an alternative defragger, I suggest Diskeeper2010. It defrags very fast on automode and even if you have only as less as 1% free space.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    gurpreetm13
    Although there is nothing wrong with your laptop..i would suggest ,you defrag your disk with autologics disk defragger..It is much faster than windows defragger..
    hello gurpreet so you are here...
    me goyal ...welcome you ...
    welcome to cE family..
    Hope you will enjoy

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sir / madam, My question is The population of a city increases @ 4% p.a. There is an additional annual increase of 4% of the population due to the influx...
plz suggest me some latest seminar topics for a technical seminar at college.
Sir / madam, My question is 4a3+984=13b7.13b7 is divisible by 11. Find a+b. Advance Thanks, R.Rengaraj
some useful html tips Many times I have seen sometimes in some websites there are links created on image itself today i learn it...so I would like to share it...
I have passed my MCA in 2006 and also have almost 2 years of work experience; now I want to go for higher studies but I am confused whether I...