First Spintronic Computer Memory Device Successfully Built

For years, particle physicists and computer scientists have been promising us vastly improved memory chips based on the spin of individual electrons, but concrete advances have been awfully elusive. Now a team at Ohio State has put together a working device to test spintronic memory, and used it successfully.

The team hooked a pair of leads to an array of magnets, and, by manipulating the spin of the electrons within the magnetic fields, were able to record and retrieve data.
Spintronics promises to double the density of computer storage, as each electron will be able to store two bits of data instead of one. Energy usage will drop as well, since the electrons won't need to flow around to do their work. The result would be smaller devices with smaller batteries.

Source of Information: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Leo
    Leo
    Hi buddy so far as i can think this technology will need modification as you told they used array of magnets, it means magnetic field have magnificent role in storing 2 bit of data on single electron, so there is more probability that data storage will be more prone to losses and can only be used as Dynamic Storage. I am not that good in physics and particle physics is far beyond my thoughts for now but correct me if i am wrong somewhere. There is something due to which i am sure that public design of this prototype of sprintonic device will take more than 3 decades to make it to the market and if something else comes out with more innovative solution it'll never come to life in real world of computing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We all know that DFA can be minimized. A DFA can have several final states. Can every DFA be minimized into a DFA with single final state?
India has asked RIM to give security access failing to which may result in closing the BBM and email services off in India. Google and Skype are facing similar threats...
How long a computer hard disc can last ??
Some says that by keeping very less memory space in the partitioned drives of hard disc lasts in the logical break of hard disc.... Is it true ?? And why...
hey CEans😁 Nowadays we see that being able to speak a foreign language is an advantage anywhere. so here in this thread let's learn to speak Japanese. we can start...