Fedora or uBuntu

Which is better and why ?

Just going to be using it for normal purposes and no complex tasks are going to be performed

But I want some advice in it

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you're new to UNIX based operating systems or just want to get a feel of how it feels to be inside 'Linux' environment, you might want to go with uBuntu. There's plenty of help, resources and software available which you can try. Fedora too is similar to uBuntu but uBuntu seems to be the top choice of people who're new to Linux.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The_Big_K
    If you're new to UNIX based operating systems or just want to get a feel of how it feels to be inside 'Linux' environment, you might want to go with uBuntu. There's plenty of help, resources and software available which you can try. Fedora too is similar to uBuntu but uBuntu seems to be the top choice of people who're new to Linux.
    Thanks Biggie But what about the variations I hear a lot of fuss on uBuntu not supporting some media players and stuff like that What exactly is the problem here ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    For me, Fedora always. Why? Gnome GUI. Also, Fedora is managed by Red Hat community & Fedora community,so very frequent updates pops making it better & better each day. Gnome GUI is also a plus point.

But, if you're not aware of terminal downloads at this moment, you better go for ubuntu which is beautiful & robust.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    jeffrey samuel
    Thanks Biggie But what about the variations I hear a lot of fuss on uBuntu not supporting some media players and stuff like that What exactly is the problem here ?
    You gotta setup your OS, like downloading required codecs for player (vlc player can solve this problem).
    Downloading Nvidia/ATI drivers so you can run games.

There's no problem, man. Just have a patience & internet connection, & everything will be flawless.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Troll_So_Hard
    But, if you're not aware of terminal downloads at this moment, you better go for ubuntu which is beautiful & robust.
    Here you mean softwares or ..
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Troll_So_Hard
    You gotta setup your OS, like downloading required codecs for player (vlc player can solve this problem).
    Downloading Nvidia/ATI drivers so you can run games.

There's no problem, man. Just have a patience & internet connection, & everything will be flawless.
    Yeah I already started the download and plan to scrap my Windows will post how it goes

I will install 90% by the next week cos of too many viral infections I got fed up with Windows
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    In order to download softwares in uBuntu there are probably two most preferred methods.
    1) downloading from ubuntu center (User friendly)
    2) downloading using terminal (terminal is like command prompt in MS)
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Troll_So_Hard
    In order to download softwares in uBuntu there are probably two most preferred methods.
    1) downloading from ubuntu center (User friendly)
    2) downloading using terminal (terminal is like command prompt in MS)
    How about that in Feddora cos I tested it out in my college lab once so felt it more viable to work with
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Fedora don't have any such thing like "Fedora center" from which you can hit on download & desired software will be installed. Only downloading using terminal is possible.
    I prefer Fedora. But it's you who have to make choice.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Troll_So_Hard
    Fedora don't have any such thing like "Fedora center" from which you can hit on download & desired software will be installed. Only downloading using terminal is possible.
    I prefer Fedora. But it's you who have to make choice.
    Yeah man I will after installing the OS get this thing clarified

No issues using command Center and so planning to opt Feddora. And I am downloading it right now.

Special thanks #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    PS : don't download 700 mb Live CD of Fedora, download 3.8 GB of DVD iso 😀

People tend to go back to winblows, I hope you survive in our community 😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Troll_So_Hard
    PS : don't download 700 mb Live CD of Fedora, download 3.8 GB of DVD iso 😀
    Why so man
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    jeffrey samuel
    Why so man
    It will give you option to setup your desktop, as if you want "Web development", "Normal user desktop", "Developers". with essential software packages inbuilt.
    You will be able to select/deselect the applications you want from different packages.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i don't understand how a capacitor(however small its value might be) can hold the peak value of voltage supplied to it
I was thinking of trying out Windows and decided to download a copy on my Mac. Now, as soon as I head over to Microsoft India website and click on...
Hello everybody! It's so nice to see e books if they are new.
Hi ! everybody, this is aditya om , i'm a 1st year student at NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, RAIPUR...... PURSUING a b.tech degree in electronics and telecommunications engineering.
wall and foundation for .1mgd water reservior