Facebook Hip Hop for PHP - Transfer PHP Code Into C++ Code

Facebook operates and maintains petabytes of data on their servers and powers the website through PHP. Facebook's engineers have figured out a way to turn PHP code into highly optimized C++ code to handle the performance issues. I'm wondering whether anyone can offer more insights into why this is done and how it happens. If any of the Facebook engineers is reading this post; we'd love to hear from you 😀

I think it'd be a great learning for all the Computer Science Engineers here.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I don't know PHP.. but I think PHP is a interpreted language. i.e. compiled at run time while C++ or java are compiled once and at run time only compiled code used.
    One more reason is C/C++ can access hardware directly, that is why these code used in simulation system.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Sounds interesting , biggie can you give source
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    goyal420
    Sounds interesting , biggie can you give source
    I guess they've mentioned it on their engineering page. I also remember their engineers talking about it in one of their videos (don't have the link though).
  • Reya
    Reya
    Just read about "HipHop for PHP" and "How it works" in their blog. Quite interesting 😀 #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • VickyNGL
    VickyNGL
    feels good... if going in this way.. all the softwares cn be ttached to any pp tht will be written any of the coding languages... I think interpreter like PHP have more fetures to be added....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the physical significance of power spectral density. I know it is used in calculation of bandwidth in digital communication systems, but i could not exactly figure out why...
Hi all, My question is about transfer systems and regarding the floors which have one or more of their vertical support being transfered using a transfer beam in the lower...
"I do not know where family doctors acquired illegibly perplexing handwriting; nevertheless, extraordinary pharmaceutical intellectuality counterbalancing indecipherability transcendentalizes intercommunication's incomprehensibleness." This is a sentence where the first word is one...
HELLO CO-ENGINEERS, I AM PRIYA,STUDYING ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION.U MAY WONDER WHAT THE TERM dREAMITIVITy IS?IT IS NOTHING BUT A dREAm AND cREATIVITy... EVERY ENGINEERS SHOULD HAVE BOTH OF THESE QUALITIES...
Hai hello I'm raihana. I am a newbie here. I am an electronics and communications engineer. I'd like to know about the various mtech courses offered for ece students