Facebook Buying Opera?

Facebook may soon take over Opera browser! That's what the latest rumors in the tech markets are! Facebook is trying hard to compete against the Internet browser behemoths like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and the never-give-up Microsoft's Internet Explorer. But if that's true, we worry about Opera's future! What do you think about Facebook - Opera teaming up? Will Facebook eventually kill the Opera Brand?

PS: Note how Facebook is eying things that are hugely popular on the mobile front. Facebook probably knows that mobile is what's going to save it!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just thought a bit more about this and everything seems to make sense. After all, why'd a social network want to buy a browser? Well, because then it makes it easier for it to know everything that you do online! I mean, currently Facebook has no way to know how much time you spend on other sites outside of it. By owning a browser owned by them, they'll be able to follow each of your move and probably sell you more targeted and relevant advertising.

I already see a lot of people complaining about this. The early adopters may be looking for something else!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A facebook browser is coming? It may be something like the rockmelt browser that they are planning?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    It is too early to say anything but I am sure Opera fans are not happy.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Nice!!! Buying a browser is a good move. Opera is one of the most used browser in mobiles and as biggie said it might be to get more information about user's browsing history. I dont think they are gonna kill brand name, Opera will be Opera but i am sure there is something else to it. Just to get user's browsing history doesnt seem that good of a plan. Moreover, i read somewhere that the ads are already based on location and other filters. Who knows what are they thinking, but looks like they want to be another Google, marking their presence all over the internet.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The_Big_K
    Well, because then it makes it easier for it to know everything that you do online! I mean, currently Facebook has no way to know how much time you spend on other sites outside of it. By owning a browser owned by them, they'll be able to follow each of your move and probably sell you more targeted and relevant advertising.
    that's could be only motive and they will provide more feature at opera browser than firefox or chrome,
    I have feel that facebook doesn't work properly on chrome like latest photo upload, when introduced, wasn't working on chrome while on firefox working fine.
    This acquisition move is to learn about user's interest, which is only important thing for facebook to be in game.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

sir, I have just completed 2nd year of my B.E degree . I want to do a internship inthis summer .plz help me...
hi im balgovind singh from alwar i am appearing my b-tech wid automobile trd.
Hi.....! 😀 I am soundariya from madurai...!
Found a nice video on the topic 'What is entrepreneurship?'. The points discussed in the video are to the point and try to answer the most basic questions related to...
hi, i m priyanka balu and i m new to this site... got placed in L&T Infotech nd waiting 4 d call letter... hope this site gives me updates abt...