EPFL's Flying Robot Never Gives Up

Aero engineers at the ÉCOLE POLYTECHNIQUE FÉDÉRALE DE LAUSANNE aka EPFL have created a flying robot that won't give up. No matter where it crashes, it gathers guts to get up on its feet and starts flying. The robot employs an active recovery system that determines when the bot has crashed. Then the system takes out four little legs out to position the robot in its launch position. The most important part of such design is to protect the rotors from damage while crash landing. That's the reason, this flying bot encloses itself inside a cage to protect the vital parts. The engineers have used carbon fiber to provide the bot necessary strength and keep its weight low. The legs close as soon as the flybot is airborne. The researchers believe that their design would be useful in difficult flying areas like caves, nuclear plants, collapsed mines etc. where the landing surface isn't even.

Check out this video demonstration of the EPFL's flybot. Do share your views -

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

NASA engineers are all set for launching their all-new space telescope called NuSTAR (Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array) today. This $165 million, two-year mission is aimed at searching the black holes...
BMW has revealed its updated i3 concept car and the iPedelec concept bicycle, at the opening of the world's first BMW i Store in London. The updated i3 is derived...
Opera 12 is now available for download. And yes, it is loaded with new features. The Opera team boasts that its new version will get you faster startup and quick...
There's no such thing as a free lunch, they say. If you are a non-subscriber and regularly use the free calling feature on Skype, you might as well expect the...
Sky City is going to kiss the China skies very soon. With a height of 838m, this skyscraper is going to be the world's tallest building surpassing the insanely famous...