Electronics And Biology Converge To Make 3D Printed Bionic Ear

Scientists at Princeton University have successfully utilized printing tools to create a superhuman ear. While the artificial ear looks pretty much like a biological ear, it attributes its superhuman strength to the ability of listening to radio frequencies far beyond the range of normal human capability. McAlpine and his team were keen on devising an efficient and versatile way to merge electronics with tissue. The research group has been working with integrated electronics for a while now. McAlpine's previous research effort includes a graphene tattoo made up of a biological sensor and an antenna which could detect bacteria on tooth enamel. In past endeavors, mechanical and thermal challenges have been a hindrance to a functional interfacing of the two materials. However the bionic ear suggests a new approach by the researcher, one that allows biology and electronics to co-ordinate in a 3D interwoven build.

slide

The cells and nanoparticles were 3D-printed followed by cell culture to affix a small coil antenna in a scaffolding of cartilage. Two wires extend from the base of the bionic ear to wind around a helical "cochlea" which connects to electrodes. The bionic ear has the potential of restoring or enhancing human hearing in near future by connecting it to the patient's nerve endings. All that sounds amazing but how about making it Spock, eh?

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone help with this???????. IF i have a ssn like 123459636 and i want to insert dashes into it how would i do that in SQL; i have tried...
Hi all, I want to write a script in perl which will execute under gdb (is it possible in perl? or i will have to use python) to automate the...
how should we find projects at the end of first year and also on which topic we should start learning to get a good project(computer science based)??
The next generation XBOX might get a new official name - XBOX Infinity with a tag-line 'Infinite Entertainment. Infinite Possibilities.'. A leaked image on Reddit shows a new logo &...
The unmanned X-51A WaveRider experimental aircraft was test-flown off the Southern California coast and it did an impressive Mach 5.1 - about 5 times the speed of sound. The aircraft...