Doh! Google Wave Is Officially Dead! :-(

So, as goes with most of Google products, Google wave is officially dead - no one uses it anymore because no one understood it 😒

Google mentions on its official blog: Official Google Blog: Update on Google Wave

We have always pursued innovative projects because we want to drive breakthroughs in computer science that dramatically improve our users’ lives. Last year Official Google Blog: Went Walkabout. Brought back Google Wave., when we launched our developer preview of Google Wave, a web app for real time communication and collaboration, it set a high bar for what was possible in a web browser. We showed character-by-character live typing, and the ability to drag-and-drop files from the desktop, even “playback” the history of changes—all within a browser. Developers in the audience stood and cheered. Some even Google Wave ovation | Uploaded with the Flock Browser | Chris Campbell | Flickr.

We were equally jazzed about Google Wave internally, even though we weren’t quite sure how users would respond to this radically different kind of communication. The use cases we’ve seen show the power of this technology: sharing images and other media in real time; improving spell-checking by understanding not just an individual word, but also the context of each word; and enabling third-party developers to build new tools like consumer gadgets for travel, or robots to check code.

But despite these wins, and numerous loyal fans, Wave has not seen the user adoption we would have liked. We don’t plan to continue developing Wave as a standalone product, but we will maintain the site at least through the end of the year and extend the technology for use in other Google projects. The central parts of the code, as well as the protocols that have driven many of Wave’s innovations, like drag-and-drop and character-by-character live typing, are already available as open source, so customers and partners can continue the innovation we began. In addition, we will work on tools so that users can easily “liberate” their content from Wave.

Wave has taught us a lot, and we are proud of the team for the ways in which they have pushed the boundaries of computer science. We are excited about what they will develop next as we continue to create innovations with the potential to advance technology and the wider web.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I think users did not find real time sharing as important as what goggle did? or they found it to be redundant application, though the inner technology was new?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    I think users did not find real time sharing as important as what goggle did? or they found it to be redundant application, though the inner technology was new?
    Real time sharing is the HOT thing these days [Twitter and Facebook status]. I think people did not understand how to use Google Wave.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I never heard of it. Maybe marketing could have been better to those not in IT?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    yeah i had also never heard about this

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

...PRINCE2® Practitioners given exemption on subject matters which they have already covered... Thursday 5th August 2010 - ILX Group plc, the best practice training company, today announced a new fast...
Hi, I have completed C last year and now starting studing C++. Can anyone help me please..😕
A bespoke filtration solution jointly developed by major oil industry chemical supplier, Champion Technologies, together with 3M’s Oil & Gas business, has significantly reduced the potential risk of blockage in...

Hi

Hi Everybody! I'm yunus reha,ı'm study electrical electronical engeneering in Turkey.
I stumbled upon the Samsung Wave, Samsung's first BADA powered smartphone and I got hooked to it for almost 15 minutes. I searched the Internet for information about BADA and...