Do Food MNCs Lie To Consumers?

The recent discovery of 'trans-fat' contents in most of the 'fast food' brands is really alarming. While it's a general belief that fast food or 'junk food' isn't really good for health; people mostly ignore what's being said on the labels. But if a company says 'no trans-fats' and then the lab tests find the exact opposite; something is definitely wrong!

Do you think MNCs lie to the consumers?

Replies

Welcome, guest

Join CrazyEngineers to reply, ask questions, and participate in conversations.

CrazyEngineers powered by Jatra Community Platform

  • Anoop Kumar

    @anoop-kumar-GDGRCn • Apr 2, 2012

    Yes, They hid this "trans-fat" fact in their product.
    People first go for junk food because something which easily not prepared at home and these are easy to consume and after some time they get use to.
    This is general mind set that something oily is fatty and not good for health and You don't find any oily thing in fast food.

    Pizza is the worse food I ever ate๐Ÿ˜ก

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Apr 2, 2012

    I think more facts are hidden behind the curtains of advertisements. People usually think that since the brand is 'big' and 'established', they'd have no reason to lie to the people. A lot of people even think that a big brand invests lot of money in research and development to bring out the 'best' products to the consumers.

    But that's not the truth, it seems. Does this happen in every country?

  • CE Designer

    @ce-designer-BWq0yl • Apr 2, 2012

    It would be unethical and illegal to lie. I hope they dont. I have always wondered about this as i am very health conscious now since i got acid reflux.
    How is trans fat produced?
    I know saturated fats are due to overheating of the oil.

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Apr 2, 2012

    I looked at <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Trans Fat</a> and found something very interesting - Trans fats are rare in living nature, but can occur in food production processes. Further reading the Wiki article reveals that trans-fats are actually bad for the health. Trans-fat is produced during the production process! That's very important. I'm not exactly sure about which process actually creates these trans fats.

    I wonder whether labeling food items with the trans-fat percentage is the right thing to do. A lot of people don't understand what the trans-fat is and might even consider it as a good type of fat. The point is; do we really take it for granted that the big corporations that operate in the food domain really care for our health?

    [Off topic] : An important thing to note is that 'Palm Oil' is being promoted by several companies as healthy oil; which can be used in cooking. But it needs a#-Link-Snipped-#.

  • circularsquare

    @circularsquare-CAswn0 • Apr 2, 2012

    here's an interesting video that will make you think twice before eating at McD.


    Even fungus don't like to consume McD . So why should humans do so.

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Apr 2, 2012

    #-Link-Snipped-# : Yeah that video! ๐Ÿ˜–

    By the way, are we coming to a conclusion that no matter how big a company is; it can still lie to the consumers and go unnoticed for years?

  • Saandeep Sreerambatla

    @saandeep-sreerambatla-hWHU1M • Apr 2, 2012

    I rarely eat the junk food ๐Ÿ˜€ But McD was one of favorite and french fries is the one which i order always ๐Ÿ˜”
    Have to change that habit!