Dial *99# For Bank Account Access From Your Phone (Basic Handsets Will Do)

Today's TOI had news about how there is now a provision that will let mobile phone users to access their bank accounts from their phones (not necessarily a smartphone) by dialing *99# - Though you already have services that let you do exactly that, this will be now an 'Universal Code' of sorts. Built under the Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) platform, once you dial this code, a live connection with the bank's server is established, which by the way is completely different from the other mobile telephony services.
To put it in simple words, this system will now work exactly like the mechanism used by the pre-paid phone users to check their phone's balance amount. So, the service is independent of SMS or GPRS connectivity.

The big brains who have thought this service out are the folks over at National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI). And this is the first time that the Government is shaking hands with Telecom Companies for such an initiative.
The report also says that the motive behind Government pushing the mobile banking sector is that the people in remote areas will be able to access their Aadhar (UID Project) accounts even if there are no banks nearby.

The first ones jumping in are BSNL & MTNL, of course. ๐Ÿ‘

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Is this an invasion of privacy Cos theft of mobile will mean loss of money in your account right AKD

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My names Jason. I have done my formal education in electrical engineering and graduated in 2000. I am currently working for a saw mill in New Zealand as an Industrial...
How to create WinPE bootable external disk? Provide a detail process please.
Hello Engineers, I have been an active member of quite a few webmaster forums and have many friends who run websites. But all of them including me had to visit...
hi guys am new here. and so far i love what i have seen so far,its a lovely community and i want to be part of it.hope to get some...
So you may be knowing what the fevicol logo is: a couple of elephants standing back to back with some circular object between them. Tell me guys, does this ring...