Connecting a Barcode reader to a PIC Microcontroller UART

Hello all,

in my project i am building an interface between a Bar code reader and a Pic in order to transfer the bar codes to a ZigBee transceiver

i want the reader to talk to the pic via UART Port of the microcontroller?

i know that there are a Software uart and a hardware uart?

which one should i choose?

and how it can be implemented ?

Thank you

Ahmed salah

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Hi Mosh,

First of all Check out the Output Voltage available at the Barcode Reader...
    I think Barcode gives around 12 volts.. (not Sure) if so then use Hardware UART using MAX232. if you use Software then may be you have to take precaution that it should not exceed to limit.. Normally We use Hardware UART at this time....

Godfather
  • mosh11
    mosh11
    Thank you for ur replay

i read also that to connect to a barcode reader Hardwae Uart should be used

i want to know why Hardware Uart is used instead of the Soft Uart ?

another question

should i use the same connection that's is given to connect the pic to a pc?

will this circuit connection work for the barcode reader ?

thank you

ahmed salah
  • maheswari21
    maheswari21
    hi ,
    i m doing proj to interface barcode reader with philips microcontroller....the scanner barcode to be displayed in the lcd display... can any one help me with tis???
    the barcode is rs232 level.... when connected and read the barcode it s not displayed in the lcd??? can any one help me with interfacing barcode with microcontroller?? plzzzzz
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    maheswari21
    hi ,
    i m doing proj to interface barcode reader with philips microcontroller....the scanner barcode to be displayed in the lcd display... can any one help me with tis???
    the barcode is rs232 level.... when connected and read the barcode it s not displayed in the lcd??? can any one help me with interfacing barcode with microcontroller?? plzzzzz
    First of all as your Scanner is RS232 level you have to use MAX232 in between Controller and Reader and first check that you command is working properly to scan the Barcode.

Do you have implemented this ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends tell me about the review of the newly released movie Film: AA Dekhe Jara Release Date:27/03/09 Starring: Neil Nitin Mukesh, Bipasha Basu.
hi .... i am looking for summer training in any reputed IT sector companies like HCL. please help me.................
can anyone tell me if dll file can be created in dos?
CEans, CEan CrazyBoy has been with us since CE was very young. He's been driving force behind CE and helped CE gain momentum when we had our low times. A...
Let's brainstorm ideas to solve a large green issue. If created, someone could get some publicity and a lot of money for solving this eco dilema. Currently, many electronic items...