Computer Network Interview Questions And Answers

Following is the first set of questions that may be asked in an interview related to computer network.

Try your best to answer them in your own words.

1. Why was OSI Reference Model created? Why it is a layered model?
2. Under what situations can a packet go in an infinte loop in a network?
3. What is 'TripleX' in networks?
4. What does the mount protocol do?
5. What is meant by beaconing?
6. What is border gateway protocol?
7. What is the difference between ARP and RARP?
8. How are email client and web mail different?
9. What is project 802?

PS: You may also share other questions.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I have put few in my personal blog , (in my signature) can paste the same here once I reach home.

few of them can be answered like below.( not complete though)
    1. Why was OSI Reference Model created? Why it is a layered model?
    Prior to OSI, every compnay ( hardware/software) used their own internal standar to manufacture devices or protocols. Hence restircted the users to use one specific vendor related devices for smooth operation .OSI model kiils this dependency and brings all the vendors onto same platform. OSI took to long to standardise hence its only in papers as of now. TCP ?IP reference model is the one which is used widely.
    Layering is not exactly in physical sense, layers here show the interdependecny and flow of activity .
    2. Under what situations can a packet go in an infinte loop in a network?
    A pakcet can go in a infinite network in a network if 1. There are incorrect routing table entries 2. a LAN is not configured with STP
    It can be elimitated at L3 by introducing a parameter Time to live (TTL) and in some cases hop count
    as far as in L2 , STP/RSTP can solve the problem
    3. What is 'TripleX' in networks?
    4. What does the mount protocol do?
    5. What is meant by beaconing?
    is more like keepalive messages
    6. What is border gateway protocol?
    When a packet needs to be routed between different service providers network border gateway routing protocol comes into picture.
    7. What is the difference between ARP and RARP?
    ARP - I know the IP address, whats the MAC address
    When a computer needs to route the packet within a network , it does the below
    > match its own IP address , subnet with that of the destinations IP address and subnet
    if both of them are in same network, the computer does an ARP saying:hey! I have this IP, whose MAC owes it?
    ARP is a broadcast packet sent and all the computers except the destinated one rejects the packet
    If any computer owes the IP replies : my MAC is xxx and my IP is abc
    This is ARP
    RARP : I know the AMC address whats the IP address
    This is reverse address resolution protocol, where a MAC address is known and Ip address is needed.
    8. How are email client and web mail different?
    9. What is project 802?
    this is for standardisation of ethernet (wired and wireless)
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    here are few more questions:

1. Difference between Hub, Router and Switch
    2.How are collisons avioded in a switching domain
    3.What is link aggregation
    4.What is port mirroring
    5.Explain RIP
    6.How are routing loops avoided in RIP. explain both the methos
    7.What is OSPF
    8.Explain OSPF states
    9.what are the types of LSAs?
    10. What are the various tables used in OSPF?
    11. What is a DR and what is BDR? How are they nominated?
    12. What is a VLAN
    13. If a switch has 3 VLANs how is the data flow then?
    14.Can wireshark be applied on routers?
    15 consider L1 <–> S1<–>R1 <–>R2
    is it possible for a computer on L1 be able to snip packets between R1 and R2?
    16 in case the structure is changed to R1 <–>H1<–>R2.
    in this case is it possible for a computer connected to H1 be able to sniff packets betwen R1 and R2
    17 what is the difference between RIPv1 and RIPv2
    18what is autonomous system in OSPF
    19asked me to subnet one of the IP address ( he gave me a host address)
    20commands used to configure OSPF on cisco routers
    21 how do you see the neighbour tables for OSPF on CISCO router
    22 what does a hub do when it recieves a packet with unknown destination
    23 what does a switch do when it recieves a packet of unknown destination

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Square Kilometer Array is the world's largest Telescope in the whole world ever!!! The main bids are from Australia-New Zealand group and South African group. Just imagine you can peep...
Lulz Security, the now-famous hacker group who have been in news lately for their hacks on Sony websites has reportedly pwned an FBI-affiliated website in retaliation for a recent U.S....
i am doing my b.e (ece) and going to finish my first year by this month .sometimes i feel to go higher studies but some times to do job.but whenever...
CrazyEngineers VoiCE Articles: Google To Track Dengue Hubs - CrazyEngineers Persistent Systems To Acquire Agilent Technologies’ Software Business To Bolster Life Sciences Expertise - CrazyEngineers Intel Now Shrink Kids With...
[video=youtube;uycOpnYnd5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uycOpnYnd5g[/video] There are a lot of critics of the twilight movie series. The fan following of this movie is almost equal to the no. of people who hate it. The...