PS: prime concern lesser weight
    hey this is an age old mechanism.

heard of cycle dynamos ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    yep my pal but i want it in a little lesser size is it possible
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    the dynamo is already in a smaller size. just enough to power a low watt bulb (which was then used as headlamp).

now how small do you want it to get, than that.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    small enough to be concealed under the bicycle seat and power a transmitter at 10 W max
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    am i expecting to much my friend if am new in this so kindly clarify me
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sam, if it is concealed under the seat how do you expect the wheel rotation to actuate the dynamo?
    The usual dynamo is small enough to be concealed under the seat. What you can look at is to use a flexible shaft connecting the dynamo shaft to the friction wheel on the rim edge.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    well no. actually it is so small, that it can easily be concealed in your closed palm.

its weight is negligible.

you needn't fix it under the seat. but right on a support bracket very close to the wheel.

those days, the wheel rim had a friction lining, and so did the dynamo shaft. these two linings would mesh, and thus, the dynamo would function, whenever the cycle was used.

but today we are free to design our own power transmitting mechanisms.

i hope i was clear enough now pal.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    bioramani
    Sam, if it is concealed under the seat how do you expect the wheel rotation to actuate the dynamo?
    The usual dynamo is small enough to be concealed under the seat. What you can look at is to use a flexible shaft connecting the dynamo shaft to the friction wheel on the rim edge.
    if it is concealed under the seat, it can still be made to work, by connecting it to the wheel, via a belt drive.

this would be un-necessary, but all i wanted to say is that it is not impossible.
  • Shiyam Sundhar.N
    Shiyam Sundhar.N
    Hi
    jeffrey samuel
    hi guys i plan to charge low power battery while i pedal is it possible

if yes do tell me how it can be brought about

PS: prime concern lesser weight
    hi its possible you fix a small dynamo and connect with a belt, while paddling it produces a electricity. you itself done a your own bicycle i attach a file about battery bicycle............................😲
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    you needn't fix it under the seat. but right on a support bracket very close to the wheel.
    those days, the wheel rim had a friction lining, and so did the dynamo shaft. these two linings would mesh, and thus, the dynamo would function, whenever the cycle was used.
    I had one of those on my old Humber bicycle. The dynamo wheel just had straight axial knurling on the circumference. The bracket had a spring mechanism that lightly pressed this wheel on the rubber tyre edge. This could be disengaged when the light was not wanted.
    What is not realised is that a human being puts out only about 30 watts energy continuously. One could feel the added effort required for the 5 - 10 watt dynamo on long rides.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    unless for a longer ride this mechanism is best suited does any one has any design for belt driven model
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    jeffrey samuel
    unless for a longer ride this mechanism is best suited does any one has any design for belt driven model
    Too much precision and alignment needed for belt drive. Since the bike does not have shock absorbers, travel jerks will create additional alignment problems. Flexible shaft is the best bet.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    belt drives will require more precision, in terms of belt tension, length of belt and the centre distances. this might even tend to increase driver's efforts.

The old traditional mechanism of the knurled mating surfaces would be better.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    thanks guys i have lots of info in it now

and about the belt driven thing had to drop it as it was not so attractive in a bicycle

flexible shaft and the age old mechanism is still in my mind yet to try it out
  • Shiyam Sundhar.N
    Shiyam Sundhar.N
    hi, first you itself design a own dynamo with small and more efficient. if you fix dynamo in paddling area its not like good. so you fix dynamo in back wheel with a chain in paddling area. while paddling it may produce a electricity.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update:
    There is a gadget now available that conditions the pedal power.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Shiyam Sundhar.N
    Shiyam Sundhar.N
    hi guys, i have an doubt , if some one got patent right for some product, if another one do business in that same product with some design different means get rights from that persons or not. And also tell how to get patent rights for some electrical and mechanical design. please tell quickly.....
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Read this thread:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I bet all of you are aware of that funny, but yet antique gear shifter, present in scooters and autorickshaws. the shifter is present on the left hand side of...
wats d avg package n hwz is plcmnts in CDAC for pdDiploma???
The Gini coefficient measures the inequality among values of a frequency distribution (for example levels of income). A Gini coefficient of zero expresses perfect equality where all values are the...
how i can improve my programming language c in few months..
It's really good to reject C++ from first Year Syllabus Of Mumbai University?