What is Gini index? Why it is used in data mining .

The Gini coefficient measures the inequality among values of a Frequency Distribution (for example levels of income). A Gini coefficient of zero expresses perfect equality where all values are the same (for example, where everyone has an exactly equal income). A Gini coefficient of one (100 on the percentile scale) expresses maximal inequality among values (for example where only one person has all the income)

this answer in from Wikipedia can any one explain me in simple way .
what is the use of it in data mining.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    hare singh nayak
    The Gini coefficient measures the inequality among values of a Frequency Distribution (for example levels of income). A Gini coefficient of zero expresses perfect equality where all values are the same (for example, where everyone has an exactly equal income). A Gini coefficient of one (100 on the percentile scale) expresses maximal inequality among values (for example where only one person has all the income)

this answer in from Wikipedia can any one explain me in simple way .
    what is the use of it in data mining.
    I hope some CEans will help you in simplifying the terminologies.
    Here is an excerpt from some book -
    Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques - Jiawei Han, Jian Pei, Micheline Kamber - Google Books

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how i can improve my programming language c in few months..
It's really good to reject C++ from first Year Syllabus Of Mumbai University?
As its a rainy season all engineers might be sitting home with their head in the piles of book and watching the rain drops falling as if they bored of...
Could the war between Apple and Samsung Seriously Affect Users? What role will it play when look back at the technology industry a few decades from now? What do CEans...
Can any one say about what is meant me google wave?