Can Creativity Be Taught?

People with original ideas and the ability to 'create' things out of scrap are always welcome. Each one of us knows that one person, whom we call 'creative' or has ability to beautify things or can create wonders from even a piece of paper.

Sometimes, I think these kind of people are 'born' to be creative. But is it really true? Is it because the way of their up-bringing was different than others?

On a side note, when building start-ups every owner wants creative people around him/her. If that is very rare to find, can we teach people to be creative?

Please speak out your thoughts. β˜•

Replies

• Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    "Creativity" is a very big word to say and will grows even bigger if a dumb guy like me talks about it. 😳

Nothing will be there in our mind by birth but sometimes, some scenarios make me believe that it's obtained from birth. I certainly feel that this creativity will be there in every one and it's only will be found in a matter of time for anyone but it depends on his observation skills, thinking, analyzing capabilities and extremities(feelings). However it cannot be thought(I guess and one has to extract it out of himself) but certainly everyone has it and can also be found if we allow our mind to express its own thoughts out of reality. Now, let me give an example πŸ˜€

***********************************************************************************

Follow these steps, (Caution: Read with full concentration! πŸ˜› )

Let we assume that none was around you...

By taking a deep breath, you closed your eyes and nothing was around you. Now you can feel yourself very light then slowly you're fading as everything was being dragged towards a void. You can feel peaceful as it was very dark (You took another deep breath)and then you were now feeling very light just like that you're travelling in a free space. Nothing was around you now and you can feel yourself happy πŸ˜€ , away from worries 😘. You smiled πŸ˜€ , forgetting about all the problems but all in a sudden you can feel that you've been pulled towards the ...darkness in greater speed just like being dragged towards a black hole.

You feel that you're lost, lost from everything and suddenly a bright light appears as you takes another breath; it appears like a white polished wall with a pink colored patch on it. You still were travelling towards it, towards that pink colored patch. You’re growing very near as you can sense it grow bigger, you can feel the warmness of that brightness and you’re concentrated on that color and it continues to …it… it’s growing, growing and growing and as you were concentrating deep on it as you’re now almost approached towards it. You’re slowly taunting at it, arching forward observing the spot. It was very peaceful as its eyes were opened and was looking at you. It was very cute and beautiful, it was frowning. You feel love with it and when you were about to touch. A tear from its eyes fell to the ground as you pushed yourself forward, looking into its eyes. It’s eyes cute, child like and big but were growing darker and all in sudden, in inhibition and out of rage it 😑 sneered with its sharp teeth clenched, jumped on youβ€¦πŸ˜‘

Well, tell me what did you see next! πŸ˜› 😏 😁

***********************************************************************************

Creativity, it's always fun.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    People with original ideas and the ability to 'create' things out of scrap are always welcome. Each one of us knows that one person, whom we call 'creative' or has ability to beautify things or can create wonders from even a piece of paper. Please speak out your thoughts. β˜•
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Creativity can be taught. Every one is creative. The great thing is you can teach yourself.
    I have close personal experience with all of the following. I learnt it by myself and follow the principles all the time in all aspects of life, not just work.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    First of all, thanks AKD for starting up this nice thread! The thread starting itself is creative!

Creativity, as said is a Tacit Knowledge. It is gained only by experimenting and experience. Even in the US, where more creative things get unleashed, creative thinking is rarely mentioned as an educational goal! But, in the case of campus interviews, instead of creativity, they have included analytical skills, which are compulsory. Creativity, is not a skill that can be acquired over time or something. It is either you have it or you don't!

To contrast with Analytical or Critical thinking, creativity requires imagination, a characteristic that resists parsing! So the fact is that, creativity should come from the inside and not by teaching from the outside. I personally don't feel that creativity can be taught by another person! πŸ˜€

PS: The post written by #-Link-Snipped-# is really creative and commendable, which no one would have thought! πŸ˜€ And that's creativity! It is different in different people's view.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# I read this -
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    and tried to understand what has been written, but couldn't see how it builds creativity. 😳
  • lal
    lal
    Every brain is not the same, ability is different, capacity differs and everything else differ. And so how a brain deals with a problem and solves it or thinks, differ.

The way it works may be adopted according to the environment it was developed. A hint of heriditary abilities also have an effect on it.

While many brains think the same way that doesnot seem to have much appeal, a few does it different, which we say is exceptional. Again among these exceptional thoughts, there will be quite a few creative ones.

I'm not sure if creativity can be taught. But the way one thinks during the odds can be taught. Deviating from the usual ordinary way of thinking to explore more in to the problem to bring that 'exceptional' effect. Converting it to 'creative' is up to the thinker πŸ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    #-Link-Snipped-# I read this -
    and tried to understand what has been written, but couldn't see how it builds creativity. 😳
    Mind map is a way of creating links and associations, which is very different from the normal bulletted list of unconnected things. The moment a mind map is made, one can instantly see potential new links. The act of making a mind map is itself very creative. It is colourful and pictorial. I use it all the time. In my opinion, it is a great tool for engineers.

Please go through this link, for a simple explanation and a fine example of a mind map on time management. I chose this instead of a technical one to show how useful this tool is in many areas.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Here are some more examples:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    bioramani
    Mind map is a way of creating links and associations, which is very different from the normal bulletted list of unconnected things. The moment a mind map is made, one can instantly see potential new links.
    It's the mind-maps that got me through seven semesters of Engineering. The easiest and best way to learn, and even the knowledge-retaining period is longer! πŸ‘
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    "Creativity is not just only about imagination, as it also requires critical and analytic thinking to solve problems." Let me give an example, say crazyengineers.com

We all know how it looks when it was first started back in November 26th, 2006. It's a very good creative thought by then but later it has to be developed in order to progress for better efficiency (For that the administrator has to analyse his site to put forth the essential components that are required in the site) and hence as a result is the site that we're seeing right now. Here, the steps that were taken by the administrator has been creative and successful. Likewise everyone will have their own approach to become creative, few more examples, our VOICE posts, Facebook, gmail, google+ and chuckofalltrades(The absolute Zero) and etc. However all of these may or may not be successful but they tried to pull out something out of ordinary and have been very creative in their approach irrespective of the result. That's the way it has to be.

"Every one has it but it only differs with their interest and their approach of how they are looking at it(the problem)."

In the above post I had given an example, it was actually nothing but a void but if you go deep into it and if you're feeling that as a scenario(like a dream) you definitely will find a way to get out of that in the end (may be with imaginations like the pink devil transformed into colors and sprayed on me) πŸ˜› like that but it depends(Some might just eat away that devil as chocolaty 😲 ). Well, everyone will have an approach/plan to come out of their troubles/problems and hence their approach of being creative may often solve their problems. Hence, might be the reason why the software companies want creative persons with them! They might not be very rare though as they find them often! πŸ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Found this random image -

423065_339191172785438_167821829922374_895243_2128283143_n
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    AbraKaDabra
    Found this random image -

423065_339191172785438_167821829922374_895243_2128283143_n
    So many likes! I am overwhelmed. 😁
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    "Every one has it but it only differs with their interest and their approach of how they are looking at it(the problem)."
    πŸ‘
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    AbraKaDabra
    So many likes! I am overwhelmed. 😁
    Well, the image looked very comfortable πŸ˜› and deserved to be liked. πŸ‘ πŸ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Creativity is one of the most beautiful expressions I have come across. πŸ˜€ It's something that comes from within, and you just do it.
    Like Mr. Don said, it depends on the interest and approach of an individual towards creativity. Creativity can't be taught, as it is differs from person to person. It's like an identity of a person. Creativity can be learned through interest, inspiration and self learning, but it can't be 'taught' to you.
    Like Ramani Sir said, "The great thing is you can teach yourself."
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Dancer_Engineer
    Creativity can be learned through interest, inspiration and self learning, but it can't be 'taught' to you.
    So, if I run an organisation and I want the lame people to turn creative, there is no way other than them getting inspired from within. 😐
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Creativity can be taught. But like any other thing, a thing can be taught to a person who desires to learn πŸ˜€

Observation is one of the most essential ingredient of creativity πŸ˜€
    The_Big_K
    Creativity can be taught. But like any other thing, a thing can be taught to a person who desires to learn πŸ˜€

Observation is one of the most essential ingredient of creativity πŸ˜€
    How do you say one person is creative or not? There's no measurement as such... For eg., my boss is way toooooooo creative and is proved to be too... I am working with him for the past two years and would like to do something like him, but I am not able to... Everyone wants to be awesome and unique, so am I, but still, my boss is boss and I am I am... What do you say for this #-Link-Snipped-#???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I was using a general understanding of creativity. For example, the art of painting or sketching is totally creative and it can be taught. Similarly; playing any musical instrument requires creativity and it can be taught.

One may argue that if you're simply copying a photo or a tune and playing it on your own isn't creativity. But the thing is that once you learn to play a musical instrument; the learner can further learn to improvise. That's creativity πŸ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    AbraKaDabra
    So, if I run an organisation and I want the lame people to turn creative, there is no way other than them getting inspired from within. 😐
    By inspiration I meant, being inspired by others and their creativity.
    Like, last year I wanted to make a birthday card for a friend. But I didn't know how to go about it. I looked up for some videos on YouTube and then I came across 'pop-up' cards. The pop-up card in the video was made with such simplicity that it inspired me to make a pop-up card than just a normal card. So inspiration from others and / or inspiration from within is required. I fear if creativity is taught, it will be nothing but just imitating somebody else.
    But as Biggie said, if one can improvise and create something of their own then that is 'creativity'.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    #-Link-Snipped-# According to you, a person can teach how to play an creative musical instrument but cannot (/and how can he/) teach(/him/) how to improvise(/also/) with creativity.

But the thing is that once you learn to play a musical instrument; the learner can further learn to improvise. That's creativity πŸ˜€
    But as Biggie said, if one can improvise and create something of their own then that is 'creativity'.
    True. πŸ‘ .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In fact, a person can be taught how to play a musical instrument with skill and also be taught how to improvise. A skilled musician can teach how he/she has improvised to the student. The student once equipped with techniques can then improvise on his own.
  • Oceanliner
    Oceanliner
    It seems to me that we are all amazingly creative as kids and then we unlearn this skill. The question then becomes: how do we relearn this skill?

For example I rarely draw anything because I think that I'm not good at it but there's a point in my childhood when my creative urge drove me to decorate the wallpaper of my room with drawings.. this creativity was not well received by my parents though and thus ended my artistic career πŸ˜€
    Oceanliner
    It seems to me that we are all amazingly creative as kids and then we unlearn this skill. The question then becomes: how do we relearn this skill?
    Its that we have started thinking about how others will react to our situation if we do these. So, when this comes, we think think think and drop the idea of doing things without thinking, which eventually lacks creativity due to the restriction in the thinking process.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Oceanliner
    For example I rarely draw anything because I think that I'm not good at it but there's a point in my childhood when my creative urge drove me to decorate the wallpaper of my room with drawings.. this creativity was not well received by my parents though and thus ended my artistic career πŸ˜€
    Go for it now. It's never too late. πŸ‘
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    #-Link-Snipped-# the image you shared is showing the point if you getting work on it..still you can take some points from it ,but after all creativity is inside us how we express this. it has many ways what we call it as experiments and if they get success becomes the creativity for the others..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    cooldudeiet
    #-Link-Snipped-# the image you shared is showing the point if you getting work on it..still you can take some points from it ,but after all creativity is inside us how we express this. it has many ways what we call it as experiments and if they get success becomes the creativity for the others..
    You are right.
    Creativity is inside each one of us. Fire is also inside each one of us. But that fire needs to be kindled and the creativity needs to be nurtured.
    I started this thread to ask if it can be 'taught'. And I think I have got my answer. πŸ˜€
  • Oceanliner
    Oceanliner
    AbraKaDabra
    I started this thread to ask if it can be 'taught'. And I think I have got my answer. πŸ˜€
    We cannot give up now. I think our glass are still half full or half empty with regards to answering the original question πŸ˜€

For instance I might think that within me are the necessary ingredients for creativity but for some reason that is usually not what is asked for by future employers, the university or the community. OR (yes capital letters 😏) it might be that I fail to interpret the demands as an invitation to be creative. My take on this matter is that I'm for some reason is stuck in a continuous improvement loop. Instead of shooting for the exceptional I go for just little better version of what already is. I'm not aiming to be Richard Branson but a successful middle-manager and I still think it's relevant to ask why? That at least I owe my suppressed creative genius.
  • avii
    avii
    In a similar way, Intelligence can be taught ? I mean the people who are genius. The people who top toughest exams like CAT, GATE etc. Most of these toppers are always from IIT [rare chances of NIT or other colleges]. Now, if you think, even IIT-JEE also one of the tough exam around. These exams are not like our Pre university exams or Engineering exams [ROFL], you cannot crack it by mugging up. You need hardwork + smartwork. Now most of the guys I know OR read about, are not the kind of hardworking. I mean they had great grasping power, understanding problems quickly. I think, they had 'it' in them.

What do you guys say ? Post can split into "Can intelligence be taught" πŸ˜€
  • greatcoder
    greatcoder
    Hello Experts,

I think We all are born with similar power of mind and no one is born CREATIVE.

I have seen many families called "GHARANAS" which are involved in many creative activities to earn their daily living. Eg: they do arts and crafts, Weaving, Music, Singing etc.
    Any new born child in their family becomes a master piece of these creative skills and ofcourse HE is taught all these things, He was not a born artist.
    Therefore Creative skills depends on our environment in which we grow up. The best age to learn anything is our childhood. We are best at learning and adapting new things during our childhood phase and thus i feel Creativity depends lot on what one has been through when he was a child.

Creativity is nothing but using our mind in such a way that it can come up with new and unique thoughts.
    Thoughts are a result of our mind and controlling the mind depends fully on us. We have to tame/train our minds in such a way so that it can think in a specific direction with some very fruitful and out of box thoughts.

Regards
    GC

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Moser Baer has launched a "pocket friendly' USB flash drive with 4GB capacity. The USB drive costs Rs. 399 and measures 54.15*52.83mm in dimensions. The weight is just around 10...
Tata Motors is gearing up to launch the 800 CC version of the popular Nano car. Of course the new variant will cost more than the current nano with 624cc...
Name: Costas Engineering Trade: Civil Engineer Location: Greece Occupation: Self-Employed Work Experience: As a Project Manager at various Military Structures and as a Civil Engineer. Hobbies & Interests: Design, Music,...
Japanese civil & structural engineers surely have something amazing to show to the world. The newly constructed Tokyo Sky tree is the world's highest tower that stands 2080 feet tall...
Using five zeroes, and all known mathematical functions, make a total of 120. Let's see who does it first! πŸ‘