Blame Programming Errors For Poor Battery Life Of Your Smartphone

Smartphone users across the globe face issues with their device’s poor battery life. Often, people tend to blame the manufacturers for this problem, but now a team of researchers from Purdue University comprising of doctoral students Abhinav Pathak and Abhilash Jindal, and Purdue professors of electrical and computer engineering Charlie Hu and Samuel Midkiff have found a set of programming errors to be responsible for significantly draining a smartphone’s battery. These "no-sleep energy bugs" found in apps over-ride the manufacturers’ default sleep mode to always keep the phone active, thereby exhausting the smartphone’s battery life.

#-Link-Snipped-# Image Credit: www.digitaltrends.com[/caption]

When app developers are provided with APIs from the manufacturers, they are to manage the power control in a careful way, so as to keep the phone active only for durations required to perform certain dedicated actions. However, mishandling these power control APIs called ‘wakelocks’ lead to programming bugs which do not let the phone engage with the manufacturer’s default sleep mode. To detect these bugs, researchers have developed a tool which translates app codes to binary and then detects the presence of “no-sleep energy bugs” within the code. Of the 187 Android apps studied by the team, the tool successfully detected the bug’s presence in 42. Though the study was primarily focused on Android devices, researchers believe the problem to exist even in other brands. The concerned research paper will be presented at MobiSys 2012, to be held from June 25-29 in the United Kingdom.

Source: 'No-sleep energy bugs' drain smartphone batteries

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If sources are to be believed, June 31 might be the last date for Dropbox Public Folders. According to Dropbox forum, it is averred that Dropbox has e-mailed developers notifying...
Have you ever thought - How I wish I can reconfigure the camera in my phone? Normally you can’t do it. The digital imaging subsystem is typically enclosed within the...
A group of researchers from University of Liverpool, Cranfield University, and University of Salford have come up with an ‘energy harvester’, capable of powering a number of wearable devices like...
iOS 6 is being called the incremental update to its predecessor - iOS 5. That’s because it offers “improved functionality without wholesale changes compared previous iterations”. Most of the features...
Well, we already know A.L.I.C.E. and it seems like she's finally going to Wonderland. According to a new study, Artificial Intelligence might be capable to assist our understanding of the...